The OHL Thread 2

just the way the banana likes 'em (in order of preference)
shredz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 3257 times
Received rep: 1468 times

Post #101 by shredz » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:03 pm

CharlieGirl wrote:Thanks for posting that - when Legein walked away from hockey, it shocked everyone. Here was this happy-go-lucky guy who seemed to have the world by the tail - obviously not the case. I wish every young person (not just hockey players) would realize that every situation is temporary, and a permanent solution is not the answer.

I'm at that age where I am realizing "wow, mother knows best"

I was a rebellious teen.
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 6 times

Post #102 by CharlieGirl » Thu Mar 13, 2014 2:37 pm

SAGINAW, MI (WNEM/AP) -
Autopsy results have been released in the death of Saginaw Spirit player Terry Trafford. He was killed by asphyxiation and it was determined to be self-inflicted.

Damn. Just... damn.

PS - I hope the asshole behind OHLInsiders on twitter dies a slow, painful death.
[SIZE="1"]GO catch a shark or something eat a turtle. - Kaktus[/size]

"There are no heroic tales without heroic tails". Fred Shero.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 483 times
Received rep: 301 times

Post #103 by mayoradamwest » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:04 pm

CharlieGirl wrote:Thanks for posting that - when Legein walked away from hockey, it shocked everyone. Here was this happy-go-lucky guy who seemed to have the world by the tail - obviously not the case. I wish every young person (not just hockey players) would realize that every situation is temporary, and a permanent solution is not the answer.

it was a rather good article. TBH, I'd forgotten about him. Seems like a better move asking him than asking pro's.

I do wonder how many parents are going to look at this type of situation and say the US College route is better.
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #104 by CharlieGirl » Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:15 pm

mayoradamwest wrote:it was a rather good article. TBH, I'd forgotten about him. Seems like a better move asking him than asking pro's.

I do wonder how many parents are going to look at this type of situation and say the US College route is better.

I'm not sure there's a lot of difference between college and CHL in terms of pressure on the players. I've seen college/university students who aren't athletes stressed beyond belief; I also know more than one who attempted suicide (thankfully, unsuccessful).

There have been a number of former players talk about resources that are or should be available to players. It's so sad that it took this to get people talking about the problem and looking for ways to improve it.

RTWAP
Has given rep: 28 times
Received rep: 34 times

Post #105 by RTWAP » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:14 pm

CharlieGirl wrote:I'm not sure there's a lot of difference between college and CHL in terms of pressure on the players. I've seen college/university students who aren't athletes stressed beyond belief; I also know more than one who attempted suicide (thankfully, unsuccessful).

There have been a number of former players talk about resources that are or should be available to players. It's so sad that it took this to get people talking about the problem and looking for ways to improve it.

I think college might be easier. Student athletes are focused on the team and the school. Junior hockey is just focused on the team, especially once they finish high school. That's their primary social circle and support system. Getting cut from the team is losing almost everything at once. Sure, there are people back home who will support you, but they're also the people who sacrificed the most to get you onto the team in the first place. The sense of shame could be crippling.

At the end of the day, teenagers are just not good at seeing past their immediate problem. And if that problem is big enough, and potentially life-changing enough, it can feel like they've lost their life already.
shredz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 3257 times
Received rep: 1468 times

Post #106 by shredz » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:41 pm

John Bercow
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 102 times
Received rep: 1090 times

Post #107 by John Bercow » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:38 am

Playoffs being decided: Kitchener and Sarnia both out in the West, one spot left in the East. Niagara has 55, Mississauga has 54 and the 67s have 52, the Bulls at 51 are eliminated. Right now it's:

Guelph v.s Plymouth: Guelph in five
Sault Ste Marie v.s Owen Sound: Sault Ste. Marie in six
Erie v.s Saginaw: Erie in five
London v.s Windsor: London in six

In the East:

Oshawa v.s Niagara/Mississauga/Ottawa: Oshawa in four
North Bay v.s Niagara/Mississauga/Ottawa: If it's Niagara, North Bay in seven, if it's Mississauga or Ottawa North Bay in five
Kingston v.s Peterborough: I actually like Peterborough here in seven
Sudbury v.s Barrie: Sudbury in seven

Sudbury really fucked themselves with the Faksa and Carrick trades. Neither have worked out at all.
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #108 by CharlieGirl » Sat Mar 15, 2014 8:41 am

Playoffs, schmayoffs. Who needs 'em?

I think both London and Guelph sweep their first round; Soo vs Owen Sound looks to be the best series in the first round in the west. In the east, Sudbury vs Barrie should be a good one. I'm hoping to catch a game in Erie in the 2nd round.

John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #109 by John Bercow » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:13 pm

CharlieGirl wrote:Playoffs, schmayoffs. Who needs 'em?

I think both London and Guelph sweep their first round; Soo vs Owen Sound looks to be the best series in the first round in the west. In the east, Sudbury vs Barrie should be a good one. I'm hoping to catch a game in Erie in the 2nd round.

Actually, London may have an easier task with Windsor now that Koekkoek is out for the season. Windsor was dealing before that. I think Saginaw wins at least one because they're playing for Terry.

Sudbury-Barrie should be good because both teams have the same weakness, but Sudbury SHOULD win they have the superior lineup. They should have just left well enough alone after the Duininck deal. They've got nothing left after this year should they bomb out.

Did you know Marty Williamson is like 25-1 in the playoffs against Stan Butler? So if it does become North Bay-Niagara I wonder if history repeats itself. You'd think Stan is due?

And you guys are well positioned for next season. The Kubalik pickup was astute. Kahun looks lost without him in Suds.
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #110 by CharlieGirl » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:03 pm

I think the only series Stan won was the Brampton team that went to the finals with Cody Hodgson and Matt Duchene. Barrie has been his kryptonite.

We have a lot to look forward to next season in Kitchener - the ice time the rookies all got this year will pay off well. However, I suspect Kubalik will be the odd man out next year. Kitchener has the 4th overall import pick this year, and Sergeev has really improved over this season, despite being a inexplicably healthy scratch for a lot of the year. He's also a year younger, I believe.

John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #111 by John Bercow » Sun Mar 16, 2014 11:29 am

Well if Kubalik is cut you can bet the Generals jump on the opportunity, they've got two import spots right now, and may fill one depending if they grab a player in the import draft.
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #112 by CharlieGirl » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:29 pm

Kristers Gudlevskis wrote:Well if Kubalik is cut you can bet the Generals jump on the opportunity, they've got two import spots right now, and may fill one depending if they grab a player in the import draft.

I like Kubalik but the player the Rangers should get with the 4th pick should be a much better player.

John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #113 by John Bercow » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:47 pm

Playoffs decided in the East, the rescheduled game between SAG/SSM has playoff implications. SAG wins, they move to sixth and face Erie and OS gets SSM, SAG loses they get SSM and OS gets Erie.

I think SSM beats SAG tomorrow so I'm going to go with that assumption

Oshawa-Mississauga: Oshawa in 5
North Bay-Niagara: North Bay in 6
Kingston-Peterborough: Kingston in 7
Barrie-Sudbury: Barrie in 6

Guelph-Plymouth: Guelph in 4
Sault Ste. Marie-Saginaw: Sault Ste. Marie in 5
Erie-Owen Sound: Erie in 5
London v.s Windsor: London in 5

Round 2:

Oshawa-Barrie: Oshawa in 7
North Bay-Kingston: North Bay in 6

Guelph-London: London in 7
Sault Ste. Marie-Erie: Erie in 6

Round 3:

Oshawa-North Bay: North Bay in 7
London-Erie: London in 7

Round 4:

London-North Bay: London in 6

London J Ross Robertson champs.
John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #114 by John Bercow » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:20 pm

CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #115 by CharlieGirl » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:23 pm

Just finished reading that - a very thoughtful and insightful article by Sutch. This should be distributed to every hockey player on the planet, regardless of age or ability.

John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #116 by John Bercow » Mon Mar 17, 2014 2:32 pm

They won't listen. If they're trying to claim something, they have to "swear on the show" that it's the truth. That's their version of scouts honor. I think it's idiotic, but they think they know best.
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #117 by CharlieGirl » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:24 pm

I guess no one wants to admit that their dream isn't going to come true. You wonder how much of it is self-induced and how much is being raised with the idea that they are elite players and can go far (and that's a fine line - working towards a goal is admirable until it goes too far).

John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #118 by John Bercow » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:44 pm

No, it's hard to admit your dream didn't come true. I'm facing that nugget right now. It's interesting to see that players feel like they're a piece of meat as well. Kind of what I was going on earlier in the thread.
John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #119 by John Bercow » Tue Mar 18, 2014 7:59 pm

Greg Gilbert and Jim Paliafito, weren't at the funeral for Trafford today. Are you kidding me?
RTWAP

Post #120 by RTWAP » Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:56 pm

CharlieGirl wrote:I guess no one wants to admit that their dream isn't going to come true. You wonder how much of it is self-induced and how much is being raised with the idea that they are elite players and can go far (and that's a fine line - working towards a goal is admirable until it goes too far).

I'm not even sure it's that related to hockey. I think it's just a kid thing. Big changes that result from personal screw-ups are almost cripplingly scary at a young age. You have so little life experience to put it into perspective with. Don Cherry told a little story on the weekend about getting caught drinking and thinking his hockey life was over, and having a very dark night dealing with that.

On a personal note, when I was transitioning from high school to university I missed the deadline to confirm my registration at the university. I was up all night freaking out, thinking that I had screwed up my whole life. When my mom woke up early the next morning she talked to me for a little while and I was much better. It's funny to look back at now. No biggie. Just do something else. Wait a year. Ask politely for them to accept a late confirmation. Definitely nowhere near the end of the world. But perspective is REALLY hard when your young and something bad happens that fucks with what you thought your future was going to be. It feels like your life has been threatened or taken away.

As it was, I called when the registration office opened and they said no problem. They assume people offered spots are going to take them. They just offer enough to account for the percentage that go elsewhere.
mcphee
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 177 times
Received rep: 533 times

Post #121 by mcphee » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:13 am

CharlieGirl wrote:Just finished reading that - a very thoughtful and insightful article by Sutch. This should be distributed to every hockey player on the planet, regardless of age or ability.

A good friend of mine has 2 boys, both played hockey, 1 at slightly above house league , but the older one played at higher levels. I'd try to go to see them once or twice a year , they were on the west island of Mtl so, I'd try and time it to see both of them play. The older one was what you'd call a 'good little player', but I could see how while he had some talent, he wasn't a dominant type. He'd make teams every second year, so anyone around any sport kind of gets that.

Artie and 'Not were active in minor hockey in the area and over the years, and when I'd see how much time and $ was involved in keeping your kid at that level, I'd ask them about it because I'd be shocked year after year. When the kid didn't make Midget AAA, they were devastated, but figured he would the next year. I don't think the parents felt entitled, but they assumed that it was just a natural progression. They started having problems with the kid as the pressure within the game increased, probably his last year bantam, and from the outside, I figured the old man needing him to make these teams had a lot to do with it. He played at whatever level you play at when you don't make AAA and I could almost see relief in his body language.

My pal would make comments to me about how A], his son was a victim of politics B] the kids from Quebec's Sport Etude programs were getting preferential treatment, but I watched and while the kid was good, that's all it was.

So it's been 4 years or so now, 3 or 4 kids that he played with have been drafted, and the kid still seems lost in a lot of ways because the family wrapped his identity up in the sport that he played. He's out of school, talks about career opportunities but seems detached as to who he is or how he fits in. I'd go to family events, I'm kind of extended family to them, and his Dad's cousins would joke about how he'd tale care of them all when he'd make it big. I'd cringe because that's all they knew about him. No idea what kind of music or food he liked, just that he played hockey.

I mentioned a couple of posters who had seen him play and they more or less confirmed what I saw, good little player, but he aged out and it was time to move on. I don't think it ever occurred to him that moving on was something he'd have to consider. I don't know if he ever defined hockey to himself as a hobby or a future. When this happens with your everyday bantam/midget player, I can only imagine how a 20 year old Major Junior player feels when it's all winding down.
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #122 by CharlieGirl » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:47 am

Kristers Gudlevskis wrote:Greg Gilbert and Jim Paliafito, weren't at the funeral for Trafford today. Are you kidding me?

Do we know this for certain? If that's the case, perhaps they felt that they didn't want to bring more pain to the family (if the family is casting as much blame on the team as the public appears to be).

John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #123 by John Bercow » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:55 am

CharlieGirl wrote:Do we know this for certain? If that's the case, perhaps they felt that they didn't want to bring more pain to the family (if the family is casting as much blame on the team as the public appears to be).

Ya, it's confirmed. They better have a good reason for not being there. Though, I'm sure we'll never know.
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 154 times
Received rep: 465 times

Post #124 by MP » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:22 pm

Kristers Gudlevskis wrote:Ya, it's confirmed. They better have a good reason for not being there. Though, I'm sure we'll never know.

I'd guess that family told them not to come.
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #125 by CharlieGirl » Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:37 pm

Either that, or they went to the visitation but out of respect for both Terry and his teammates, decided to stay in the background and allow the players to grieve together.

It's a hard call. If they go, does it cause family members more pain (in which case, staying away is the right answer)? If they don't go, they get slammed by everyone else, when we don't know the details.

It's odd, to be sure, but I can't call someone out with only partial information.

John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #126 by John Bercow » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:01 pm

The whole team didn't go either. I mean the spirit are preparing for a first round series against Erie too. So I guess you can cut them some slack.
John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #127 by John Bercow » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:14 am

In the West:

Guelph 1 Plymouth 0
Owen Sound 1 Sault Ste. Marie 0
Erie 1 Saginaw 0
London 1 Windsor 0

In the East:

Oshawa 1 Mississauga 0
North Bay 1 Niagara 0
Kingston 1 Peterborough 0
Barrie 1 Sudbury 0
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #128 by mayoradamwest » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:12 am

Kuchmey walks out on Spitfires in 10-2 loss to Knights
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=711287
John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #129 by John Bercow » Wed Mar 26, 2014 11:52 am

Kooch was never going to be a player. He may as well quit.
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #130 by CharlieGirl » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:46 pm

I'm not a fan of what he did last night, however, I think leaving the kid in for 8 goals in his first playoff game is a dick move by Boughner. In fact, Boughner was a complete jackass in the interviews I saw.

RTWAP

Post #131 by RTWAP » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:03 pm

That's a pretty dick move by the goalie. It would be one thing if there was a healthy backup available. I can see him being pissed about being left in. But the backup (the regular starter) was sick.
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 154 times
Received rep: 465 times

Post #132 by MP » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:10 pm

RTWAP wrote:That's a pretty dick move by the goalie. It would be one thing if there was a healthy backup available. I can see him being pissed about being left in. But the backup (the regular starter) was sick.

I didn't see the game, but did the coach do anything? A simple timeout after the goalie started looking at the bench, to remind him of the situation, to fire him up, to chew out the defence, anything might have diffused this situation.
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #133 by CharlieGirl » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:01 pm

MP wrote:I didn't see the game, but did the coach do anything? A simple timeout after the goalie started looking at the bench, to remind him of the situation, to fire him up, to chew out the defence, anything might have diffused this situation.

No. Nothing other than rip the kid to shreds in the media after the game.

I'm certainly not a fan of what Kuchmey did, but I think it's but a small indication of the shitshow in Windsor. The chances of them winning a game in this series were low, but it appears that their best two players gave up about halfway through the game last night as well. Yes, one of them is the kid whose Mom threw a beer into the penalty box at a London player. Classy, no?

mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #134 by mayoradamwest » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:35 pm

Windsor sure has fallen, wasn't long ago they won twice in a row...

Edit: was the mom who threw the beer the parent of the kid who got hit with the swinging goalie stick that got London's g suspended?
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #135 by mayoradamwest » Wed Mar 26, 2014 5:39 pm

ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrhockey-buzzing-the-net/philadelphia-flyers-goalie-prospect-anthony-stolarz-slashes-opponent-025547865.html

Just saw it... The two slashes both netted two minute penalties. Yikes. 8 playoff games.
John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #136 by John Bercow » Wed Mar 26, 2014 6:37 pm

Eight is the standard fare today. Michael Clarke of Peterborough got eight for a cross check and Brock McGinn sees eight for a check to the head from Guelph. This is with Robby Fabbri already injured with a concussion. So Guelph is now down McGinn and Fabbri, London loses Stolarz.

It could quite possibly be London/Guelph in round two and with McGinn and Fabbri probably done for all of that series except game seven, and Stolarz done for all of the games. I have to give London the edge in round two because the Knights still won nine in a row with Patterson in net early this year.

Here's the story on Kooch. I've known him since he was 17.

http://blogs.windsorstar.com/2014/03/26/kuchmey-says-he-wont-return-to-spitfires/
John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #137 by John Bercow » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:05 pm

Series update:

Erie wins in 5
London wins in 4
Sault Ste Marie up 3-1 on Owen Sound
Guelph leads Plymouth 3-1

Oshawa wins in 4
Barrie up 3-1 on Sudbury
Niagara up 3-1 on North Bay
Kingston leads Peterborough 3-1

Took Oshawa three games that went into OT to dispatch Mississauga.
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #138 by CharlieGirl » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:14 pm

The west is set for next round

Guelph vs London
Erie vs Soo (God bless 'em, that's a hell of a roadie)

Lots of questions in Sudbury, after making a few big deals at the deadline, then going out in the first round.

VLoo
Has given rep: 108 times
Received rep: 169 times

Post #139 by VLoo » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:05 pm

CharlieGirl wrote:The west is set for next round

Guelph vs London

Lots of questions in Sudbury, after making a few big deals at the deadline, then going out in the first round.

:stare:
John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #140 by John Bercow » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:49 pm

CharlieGirl wrote:The west is set for next round

Guelph vs London

971KM compared to 121KM between London and Guelph. I've got Soo in six, London in seven. I wonder because of the distance if they go 2-3-2 like they did with Erie-Saginaw

Ha, you could drive back and forth between London and Guelph four times in the same amount of time it will take the Hounds to reach Erie once. They better do 2-3-2
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #141 by CharlieGirl » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:00 pm

From what I understand, they're not doing 2-3-2 (although I'd be campaigning for it if i were either team).

I think Guelph takes out London and Erie-Soo will come down to how well Dansk plays. I think Erie's offense is better but Soo's defense is better. That should be a great series, but I'm not happy Erie isn't playing on the weekend. I was hoping to catch a game there.

John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #142 by John Bercow » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:20 pm

CharlieGirl wrote:From what I understand, they're not doing 2-3-2 (although I'd be campaigning for it if i were either team).

I think Guelph takes out London and Erie-Soo will come down to how well Dansk plays. I think Erie's offense is better but Soo's defense is better. That should be a great series, but I'm not happy Erie isn't playing on the weekend. I was hoping to catch a game there.

Guelph will be playing without McGinn for six, and Fabbri for God knows how long. Losing both those guys is a HUGE blow to the Storm. Stolarz/Patterson isn't that big a difference, especially since Patterson had a nine game win streak earlier this season. London is four lines deep, three d-pairs strong and have the better goalie. I like them over Guelph.

Too bad they're not doing the 2-3-2. But Erie already did that once, maybe they don't wanna do it again.
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #143 by CharlieGirl » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:09 pm

London is also missing Zach Bell, which is a big loss on defense. Guelph just got Tyler Bertuzzi back from injury - while he's not McGinn, he's a big part of their overall game.

John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #144 by John Bercow » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:14 pm

CharlieGirl wrote:London is also missing Zach Bell, which is a big loss on defense. Guelph just got Tyler Bertuzzi back from injury - while he's not McGinn, he's a big part of their overall game.

It'll come down to goaltending at the end of the day.
John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #145 by John Bercow » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:14 am

Peterborough storms back from 3-0 down against Kingston to force a game seven tomorrow, while North Bay has done the same versus Niagara. Except they came back from 3-1.
John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #146 by John Bercow » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:07 pm

Kingston blows a 3-0 series lead to Peterborough, loses game seven at home in OT to Nick Ritchie.

Round 2 in the East:

Oshawa-Peterborough
North Bay-Barrie

Ohhhhhhh baby.
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #147 by CharlieGirl » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:42 pm

The Battalion vs. their kryptonite, the Colts.
Oshawa-Petes ought to be a bloodbath.
London-Guelph will be amazing.
Erie-Soo is the wild card - could be a great series, could be a dog.

John Bercow
Registered Broad

Post #148 by John Bercow » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:50 pm

I just don't know how much the Petes have left in their tanks after THAT. They won that for Hunter Garlent. He has been a very astute pick up from Guelph.

I've got:

Oshawa in six
Barrie in six

London in seven
SSM in seven
CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #149 by CharlieGirl » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:43 am

I think it'll be an Oshawa-Barrie conference final, but I'm sticking with Guelph over London. Especially now that Austin is also out for the foreseeable future. I think Keefe will do everything he can to have the Soo ready to roll, and I think their experience could win out - but that's going to depend on Dansk. I'd love to see Erie make it through though - better shopping on a roadie!

What did you think of the nominees for the major awards? Personally, I think it's ridiculous that Keefe was not one of the finalists for Coach of the Year. No coach did more with seemingly less, and got everything and more out of each of his players.

CharlieGirl
Registered Broad

Post #150 by CharlieGirl » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:12 am

Reports floating around that Fabbri will play Friday night.

Return to “Minors, Juniors, College, and Europe”