Gamer Gate (d_k is a self-loathing misandrist, but at least he's not Ernie)

..et d'autres discussions ennuyeuses
AD
Has given rep: 538 times
Received rep: 640 times

Post #401 by AD » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:45 am

clawfirst wrote:no it really wasn't.

though dk taking the moral high ground and then taking it to the gutter makes it a win for Ernie by my definitions of interwebs.

I'm sorry sir but you are mistaken. Taking the moral high ground AND trolling other people through the mud at the same time. Thats just talent.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 967 times
Received rep: 608 times

Post #402 by Slick Nick » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:11 pm

lol
Shawnathan Horcoff
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 572 times
Received rep: 736 times

Post #403 by Shawnathan Horcoff » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:54 pm

[RIGHT]Image[/RIGHT]
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 288 times
Received rep: 476 times

Post #404 by clawfirst » Wed Nov 19, 2014 3:56 pm

AD wrote:I'm sorry sir but you are mistaken. Taking the moral high ground AND trolling other people through the mud at the same time. Thats just talent.

A successful troll job does not always result in a moral argument win. these are unrelated events.
Ernie
Registered Broad
Received rep: 1 time

Post #405 by Ernie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:01 pm

AD wrote:I'm sorry sir but you are mistaken. Taking the moral high ground AND trolling other people through the mud at the same time. Thats just talent.

Who's trolling who?

And what's up with your DK love, anyhow?
AD

Post #406 by AD » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:02 pm

Ernie wrote:Who's trolling who?

And what's up with your DK love, anyhow?

The real question is whats up with DK unlove!!
AD

Post #407 by AD » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:03 pm

DK unlove sounds like the name of a designer shoe.
Ernie
Registered Broad

Post #408 by Ernie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:06 pm

AD wrote:The real question is whats up with DK unlove!!

Hey you know where I stand. Not that I really care, obviously I'd prefer he wasn't the know-it-all lil' bitch that he is but it's not gonna ruin my day or anything.

Anyways this is getting rather tedious. I'd love to see him come back and actually give me a good insult because now I just feel like a bully but whatever.
habfan4
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 18 times

Post #409 by habfan4 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:13 pm

AD wrote:DK unlove sounds like the name of a designer shoe.

"DK Unlove" would be more appropriate as the name of a fragrance/cosmetics line.

"DK Unlove" by Ernie. Available soon at a retailer of distinction near you.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 378 times
Received rep: 209 times

Post #410 by mayoradamwest » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:17 pm

I'm going to have to agree with the pineapple here.
Ernie
Registered Broad

Post #411 by Ernie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:21 pm

You guys are confusing trolling and being trolled.
Ernie
Registered Broad

Post #412 by Ernie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:22 pm

Or is this whole thread just one elaborate troll by DK? Because that indeed would be skill.

I mean, it kinda makes sense, I don't think anyone can roll out one ridiculous cliche after another like this while keeping a straight face, can they?
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 32 times
Received rep: 424 times

Post #413 by Craig » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:25 pm

Ernie wrote:Or is this whole thread just one elaborate troll by DK? Because that indeed would be skill.

I mean, it kinda makes sense, I don't think anyone can roll out one ridiculous cliche after another like this while keeping a straight face, can they?

We established this ages ago.
Ernie
Registered Broad

Post #414 by Ernie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 4:28 pm

Craig wrote:We established this ages ago.

Shit, well don't I look like a dummy. Good job, DK, you really got me.
Ernie
Registered Broad

Post #415 by Ernie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:27 pm

dempsey_k wrote:I'm 6'5"

That actually explains a lot.
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 259 times
Received rep: 481 times

Post #416 by senate » Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:48 pm

[YOUTUBE]DDCd_19ZRII[/YOUTUBE]
Ernie
Registered Broad

Post #417 by Ernie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:05 pm

They just need to make a version with a female picking up a male prostitute, then it will be ok.
IcE ColD
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 31 times
Received rep: 75 times

Post #418 by IcE ColD » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:06 pm

Ernie wrote:They just need to make a version with a female picking up a male prostitute, then it will be ok.

If they had a modicum of balls, they'd have done that version *only*
This whole idea that we are even important is a fucking illusion. We’re just an accident left to our own devices.

Trent Reznor - 24/07/2018
Ernie
Registered Broad

Post #419 by Ernie » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:08 pm

LOL that they'd have a female main character in a video game that wasn't a sex object herself.
Cao
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1 time
Received rep: 3 times

Post #420 by Cao » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:56 pm

i think if you even tried to have a female character that wasn't a sex object, weirdos on the internet would make her a sex object
Bernie Bernbaum
Registered Broad
Received rep: 9 times

Post #421 by Bernie Bernbaum » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:22 pm

09jadiflkn
NyQuil
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 11 times

Post #422 by NyQuil » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:49 am

I have a good friend who worked in telecom coding instructions for satellites.

She moved up and out of the technical group and into sales.

Her technical background was very useful in that regard.

But ultimately, you're both right, in her case:

1. She found coding to be a very individual and ultimately lonely working experience and wanted to do something that was more social in orientation as far as executing tasks as a team.

2. She was getting hit on by everyone, married or otherwise, in the technical group. She is an attractive woman and the stories about how awkward the advances were could probably be incorporated in a book.

Shoulder massages, poems left under keyboards, all kinds of junior high crap. It was harassment, and she recognized that, but more often she had to explain why to the other coders because they were so socially inept that they didn't even realize.

Moving to the sales group where people had a modicum of social intelligence instantly ended the unwanted advances.

I've met some of these coders at her x-mas party. It's like Big Bang Theory but creepier. She said it was weird but she was repulsed and yet felt pity for them at the same time.
AD

Post #423 by AD » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:16 am

Thats because women are prudes that don't let their inner sexual beast out until a real man comes in and shows it to them. By force if necessary.

No means yes.
Ernie
Registered Broad

Post #424 by Ernie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:47 pm

dempsey_k wrote:It's wrong to make it seem as if social ineptitude is anything but correlated to misogyny considering how rapey frats are, but socialization definitely reduces problems because most women and girls you grow up with are more than willing to educate your ass, unlike the exasperated activists the gamergaters target online who don't have the time of day to explain things over and over to drydick randos.

hahaha
Ernie
Registered Broad

Post #425 by Ernie » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:54 pm

NyQuil wrote:I have a good friend who worked in telecom coding instructions for satellites.

She moved up and out of the technical group and into sales.

Her technical background was very useful in that regard.

But ultimately, you're both right, in her case:

1. She found coding to be a very individual and ultimately lonely working experience and wanted to do something that was more social in orientation as far as executing tasks as a team.

Yup, and for what it's worth, I'd say that not many men are interested in that type of work either. It takes a certain personality to be able to do it.

2. She was getting hit on by everyone, married or otherwise, in the technical group. She is an attractive woman and the stories about how awkward the advances were could probably be incorporated in a book.

Shoulder massages, poems left under keyboards, all kinds of junior high crap. It was harassment, and she recognized that, but more often she had to explain why to the other coders because they were so socially inept that they didn't even realize.

Moving to the sales group where people had a modicum of social intelligence instantly ended the unwanted advances.

I've met some of these coders at her x-mas party. It's like Big Bang Theory but creepier. She said it was weird but she was repulsed and yet felt pity for them at the same time.

Eh, most tech workplaces are more hipster than nerdy these days. Sounds like most of her coworkers were from a previous time, back when even just using a computer was considered nerdy.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 32 times
Received rep: 424 times

Post #426 by Craig » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:10 pm

Ernie wrote:Eh, most tech workplaces are more hipster than nerdy these days. Sounds like most of her coworkers were from a previous time, back when even just using a computer was considered nerdy.

It depends on the industry a little. My understanding is the web dev places are pretty hipstery, but the engineering dev places, like the satellite thing, are still pretty nerdy.
Sturminator
Registered Broad
Received rep: 9 times

Post #427 by Sturminator » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:00 pm

Lord Chezz wrote:Im saddened that the opposite doesnt happen to me in the HR world (one guy per 25 women).

You are probably either oblivious or repulsive.
If a man were permitted to make all the ballads, he need not care who should make the laws of a nation.
BlackRedGold
Registered Broad
Received rep: 7 times

Post #428 by BlackRedGold » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:33 pm

Lord Chezz wrote:Im saddened that the opposite doesnt happen to me in the HR world (one guy per 25 women).

HR people might be a little more aware of what sexual harassment is compared to coding geeks.
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #429 by Cao » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:34 pm

that must be a satire of some sort
Cao
Registered Broad

Post #430 by Cao » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:56 pm

It's frankly kind of amazing that women in the gaming industry have brought out all the autistic shut ins who play video games.

Women truly are great.
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 163 times
Received rep: 497 times

Post #431 by Dr_Chimera » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:02 pm

What is particularly fascinating about men who hate feminism (or their own understanding of what feminism entails) is that these men are often left-leaning, atheistic, purportedly rational-minded (so they say), pro-gay rights, believers in evolution, etc.

And yet their views on women are stunningly backwards. They actually believe that feminism is to blame for all forms of political correctness that is responsible for keeping them down, making them fat and unemployed.

Oh, and I forgot the big one - they are also pro-choice.
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 163 times
Received rep: 497 times

Post #432 by Dr_Chimera » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:18 pm

embracedbias wrote:Is there data on this or is that just your impression? Not being facetious

In case I wasn't clear, I am saying that many who hate feminism are liberals. Little doubt that conservatives aren't big on feminists either and probably feel even stronger about it.

This is based on my experiences with social media.
senate
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 259 times
Received rep: 481 times

Post #433 by senate » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:29 pm

If you guys haven't heard about the "dark enlightment" or the "neoreactionary" movement, which is very popular amongst the MRA and gamergate crowd, I highly recommend you seek it out.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/11/22/geeks-for-monarchy/
RTWAP
Has given rep: 26 times
Received rep: 33 times

Post #434 by RTWAP » Fri Feb 06, 2015 10:32 pm

I'm sure a lot of those MRA organizations have more than a little bit of crazy in them. It's too bad because there are lots of ways in which men get the shaft. The problem for them is that in total women still get the shaft more. But what if you're one of the guys who's just being shafted instead of a perpetrator. Being told that your feelings of victim-hood are unimportant because someone else is a member of a larger group of victims could be pretty fury-inducing.

Lucky for me I don't feel victimized by society. My complaints are minor and observational.

Like men are tough. Which is why if someone is going to get demeaned in an ad then they're probably a guy. For most guys that's fine. The ad is nothing but funny. But if you talked to a guy going through tough times who feels a little vulnerable, it might just feel like an attack or a put-down. Or a reminder that he's supposed to be tough, but is failing at it.

The core point many MRA guys have right is we haven't paid much attention to how men should fit into this new world in a way that allows them to feel valued and nurtured. Of course many of them proceed from that starting point into a bizarre world where anyone not like them is a poorly conceived stereotype that feeds their feelings of victim-hood. Making fun of men in ads isn't part of a conspiracy, it's just safer and funnier. Making fun of women is harder and more risky in many situations. There's a reason. Women are victims of deliberate gender directed violence more often, you MRA dolts.
Roughneck
Registered Broad
Received rep: 15 times

Post #435 by Roughneck » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:31 pm

As feminists, we rightfully put the interests of women first, and we are sceptical of ostensibly feminist arguments that appeal to men’s interests.

*snip*

We may not be able to reach the most hateful misogynists, but feminists must directly attack the false ideology of men’s rights. We must offer a real answer for men consumed by anxiety, and especially those who feel a sense of sexual frustration.

These two snippets alone could simply be copy and pasted to an MRA or Red Pill website as evidence of why feminism doesn't represent men and you need men's rights.

These pick-up artists and red pillers are basically offering the same thing the lady in this article is: a means for men to express their true sexuality and not be bogged down by societal expectations. It just appeals to a different group of them, which is why the article really misses the mark on the bigger picture.
Roughneck
Registered Broad

Post #436 by Roughneck » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:59 pm

dempsey_k wrote:Rape is true?

Whatever floats your boat.
Roughneck
Registered Broad

Post #437 by Roughneck » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:04 am

dempsey_k wrote:Because I mean that's the logical result of what you said, tho of course I'm crediting you with a ton more character than that, I think you're just unaware of what these guys are actually saying. They think the definition of rape should be narrowed so they can have more sex.

I'm referring to why these groups are able to recruit 'members', despite what they're actually saying.

What I read from that article is a complete lack of understanding why many would be drawn to those groups in the first place, and it showed in how they thought they could sway them over to the other side.

"Want to be sexually submissive without feeling shame and accept your issues and gender are not as important to us as our own" vs. "Want to finally take control of your sexual desires and think about your issues first?"

Pretty one sided sales pitch when your audience people feeling short changed by the system. Why would they want to identify with a movement that is seemingly trying to belittle and marginalize them even more (not everybody has an innate desire to be "on the right side of history" regardless of how it may affect them)?

Similar to assuming anybody who gets drawn into white supremacist groups did so because they were already racist, and not because they were drawn in by empathetic and/or empowering people who could then manipulate their views after.
AD

Post #438 by AD » Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:26 am

That's a cute metaphor D, but the history of (hu)mankind seems to indicate the need for a yank. And nothing in the present or foreseeable future is much better.
Roughneck
Registered Broad

Post #439 by Roughneck » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:07 am

dempsey_k wrote:When I came across the first line you cited, I knew immediately it'd resonate poorly because of how it was written, not because of her meaning. Putting women's interests first - clearly not equal if stripped of context. But when you look at how sexism and other forms of oppression are structural in how laws and government intentionally leave women in more difficult positions and even form a pervasive unconscious grip over social interaction that feels 'normal', the interests of men have been fulfilled. So when she says put women's interests first, it's not a hierarchy, it's a correction. If you steered your car right and you're about to drive off a bridge, correcting left shouldn't elicit responses of Balance please!!!

Yeah, this is the problem. Not all laws benefit men, not all societal norms do either. So what are you going to say to a guy who is drawn to the MRA movement because they're just trying to correct issues from the other side like custody laws? Why can't they work to correct some men's issues while feminism works on the women's issues? Can't we all just be humanists/egalitarians/whatever else they're calling themselves? The idea the societal biases and benefits are one-sided across the board is simply wrong to begin with, this position just strengthens that. It makes it a hierarchy, or at the very least a correction where a lot of people feel they're in a car going off the road to the left, and are about to be hit by another car over-correcting.

It is also fueled by the methods used to make the correction. When a bunch of poor, lower class men who have been getting the wrong end of the stick their whole lives hear "why can't we make things for women easier" they're going to be a little peeved. When their concerns are then met with what effectively comes out as "don't you understand how easy you have had it, how dare you try to undermine women's issues?" when they're still near (or at least feel near) the bottom rung of society (whether economically or socially) then they're just going to become resentful and you get the more extreme MRAs being 'developed'. Similar to how you can effectively breed racism and resentment with other affirmative action policies.

In other words, dismissing or marginalizing the issues of people because of their gender...isn't good.

Her second statement about giving up on the extremoids is just practical. Don't waste time trying to convince the hopeless and the Hannibal Lecters.

While dismissing the extremists is practical, the methods are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. Her and the extremists are fighting over the same people, and the extremists are getting them because she's saying 'your problems aren't as big as ours, but we'll get around to them eventually.'
RTWAP

Post #440 by RTWAP » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:11 pm

dempsey_k wrote:Twap, my guy, encourage you to specificslly ready the piece I posted above by the surly Brit dominatrix.

I read it the first time.
RTWAP

Post #441 by RTWAP » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:19 pm

dempsey_k wrote:... the interests of men have been fulfilled ,,,

WTF? No they haven't. Men don't get whatever they want. I don't think anyone's interests are ever completely fulfilled. But the what's even worse about what you wrote is attaching that fulfillment to men as a whole. Do some men have privileges and power they shouldn't? Yes. Do some men behave deplorably? Yes. Does this in any way diminish the disadvantages, pain, or suffering that other men endure? No.
RTWAP

Post #442 by RTWAP » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:29 pm

AD wrote:That's a cute metaphor D, but the history of (hu)mankind seems to indicate the need for a yank. And nothing in the present or foreseeable future is much better.

True story. When the police service in Ottawa was looking at becoming more racially diverse (1980's I think) the province's employment equity bureaucrats told them they needed to hire only visible minorities and women until the ratios were correct. So friggin' stupid. 15 years of hiring no write men, which is terribly unfair to any young white male who wanted to be a cop. He's not to blame for the previous racism, but he pays the price.

But even stupider, in 15 years the only people retiring would be the white cops in their 50's, so they'd have to spend 15 years replacing those guys so no women or minorities need apply. Gotta keep rigidly to the ratio. And then 15 years later no white guys again. Repeat for generation after generation until eventually things even out.

Wiser heads prevailed. They started hiring in ratios reflective of the community, adjusted for applicant ability and interest. When they find a lack of interest or ability skewing the ratios they try to address it with targeted outreach and support.

Return to “Le mur de messages”