the tendon-cy to retire is natural.
now with even more memorial.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 4 times
Received rep: 12 times

Re: News from Around the NHL 2

Post #4701 by FlyHigh » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:15 pm

Funny that you cite soccer's World Cup. England, commonly thought to have the strongest national team at the time, did not send its squad to the 1930, 34, or 38 editions because it deemed the tournament to be beneath its notice.

EDIT: Are you not reading these quotes from players btw? Do you honestly think they will give a shit about a World Cup that's put on by an organization they already detest?
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 8 times
Received rep: 74 times

Post #4702 by jester » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:47 pm

FlyHigh wrote:Funny that you cite soccer's World Cup. England, commonly thought to have the strongest national team at the time, did not send its squad to the 1930, 34, or 38 editions because it deemed the tournament to be beneath its notice.

... you realize this buttresses my point, right? Create and commit to the tourney, and it will gain hold over time.

EDIT: Are you not reading these quotes from players btw? Do you honestly think they will give a shit about a World Cup that's put on by an organization they already detest?

This generation? Maybe not. 20 years from now? Of course, my theoretical tourney is an IIHF headed tourney, as opposed to NHL headed.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #4703 by FlyHigh » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:59 pm

So, everybody is angry for 25 years and then once a generation or two passes through, maybe people will care about the World Cup of Hockey. I mean, yes, I agree on that point. Can't wait for World Cup 2040. So basically, eliminate a tournament that works and that everyone cares about. Instead, maybe, just maybe, in 25 years, we'll have a replacement tournament that people will care about. Oh, and by the way, we don't even know for sure that people will care about it, but they probably will. In 2040. Sounds like a great plan!

Also, it's naive/delusional to think that the NHL will punt on the Olympics and then give control of a marquee tournament to the IIHF, come on man.
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 20 times
Received rep: 45 times

Post #4704 by Rogers Pancreas » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:30 pm

jester wrote:Is there, though? For starters, I know you're a soccer fan ... and the "uniquely special" nature of the Olympics collapses there. The NBA started sending it's players out of pure spite at the joke that Olympic basketball was ... and do people really care that much about Olympic basketball a couple decades later? Baseball? Football? Tennis? Golf?

The Olympics are uniquely special for the many sports that get zero attention outside of the Olympics. Olympic wrestling is uniquely special ... Olympic hockey/basketball/soccer is a fun tournament on the side of a much bigger pie.

Couldn't you argue the same applies to the NHL with the pie being hockey, and the slice being the NHL? In 2010 while Team USA was competing for gold, bars in Brooklyn were packed and that was an area where I struggled even to find casual Rangers/Islanders/Devils fans. And the ones I did were transplant Devils' fans out of New Jersey.

A large portion of the population clearly cared about those games; I tend to think it's because it wasn't just the Lidstrom and Datsyuk suspension for skipping the ASG (DET), or the Mike Peluso cover-up (NJD), or the Thrashers' relocation (ATL), or the Dollar Bill Blackhawks Black-out (CHI). It was just hockey being played for the sake of hockey by talented players (NOT VANDEVELDE), and it was extremely enjoyable.

jester wrote:
FlyHigh wrote:Funny that you cite soccer's World Cup. England, commonly thought to have the strongest national team at the time, did not send its squad to the 1930, 34, or 38 editions because it deemed the tournament to be beneath its notice.

... you realize this buttresses my point, right? Create and commit to the tourney, and it will gain hold over time.

Yeah... as long as there's a North America U23.6125 team the World Cup will struggle to have even a fraction of the credibility as the Olympic games do. And for all the chatter concerning risk of injury (slightly OT), the World Cup does nothing to address any of that.

http://www.thescore.com/news/1112566
His Satanic Majestic Request
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #4705 by FlyHigh » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:42 pm

Re: RP's point, I remember going to a bar at 6 AM in Chicago for USA-Canada in 2014 and the whole street was crowded.

Somehow I doubt that even World Cup 2040 will generate that kind of buzz among casual sports fans.

World Cup 2060 on the other hand, that's an open question, especially if the IIHF organizes and not the NHL. And there's "no BS." Can't wait for the retirement home betting pool on that one.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #4706 by jester » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:29 pm

The World Cup of hockey should feature national teams. Full stop. Should occur every four years without question, and without haggling over player involvement. Full stop. It should rotate host nation(s) on a regular basis.

This is not hard to accomplish, it just requires committing to it.

And, yes, national teams draw interest ... that is not and never will be an important calculation for the NHL owners. You can complain about that, but you also aren't 100s of million deep on an investment. And, let's be real clear, a lot of this is players wanting the best of all world's. I wonder how many players would agree to the Olympics if it were contingent on voiding their contract guarantee.

The Olympics just aren't the sacred cow they're being made out to be.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #4707 by jester » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:43 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:And for all the chatter concerning risk of injury (slightly OT), the World Cup does nothing to address any of that.

I guarantee you there are numerous owners that are privately opposed to any sort of international competition, or, at the very least, wish they could fully oppose it. Mark Cuban, for example, has publicly spoken about his reservation with regard to allowing NBA players to compete internationally.

The difference with the World Cup, in theory, is that it puts the games outside the NHL schedule; creates less scheduling pressure during the season (injury risk rises with tired players); and doesn't leave injured players facing the stretch run and playoffs. But, yeah, there is no perfect solution with the injury risk.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 9 times
Received rep: 15 times

Post #4708 by Hovercraft » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:47 pm

:hillary: :trump:
Rogers Pancreas

Post #4709 by Rogers Pancreas » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:56 pm

jester wrote:The World Cup of hockey should feature national teams. Full stop. Should occur every four years without question, and without haggling over player involvement. Full stop. It should rotate host nation(s) on a regular basis.

And, yes, national teams draw interest ... that is not and never will be an important calculation for the NHL owners. You can complain about that, but you also aren't 100s of million deep on an investment. And, let's be real clear, a lot of this is players wanting the best of all world's. I wonder how many players would agree to the Olympics if it were contingent on voiding their contract guarantee.

Sorry to be a bother, Jester. This just happens to be the most interesting conversation that's been had in the better part of two years.

Your vision of what the World Cup should be is basically what the Olympics are, except without the pain in the dick owners carrying on about what the world owes them. And I'm sure there are other franchises (owners) out there that are concerned about losing their golden goose to injuries, or just plain losing them (for an extended period of time). But only the NHL's owners have bitched like this. I haven't heard much coming out of the KHL, or the SHL, or Liiga. And those league, not franchises, LEAGUES are in a far more precarious situation than the NHL.

And I agree, the NHL isn't this sacred cow... if the true fans, and players alike, succumb to apathy the same way we all gave in to the fucking shoot-out. The NHL has proven it doesn't give a fuck about you or I. But my hope is players like Jake, and Ovechkin just say "fuck it", and then players like Giroux say "fuck it" because they don't want to see Team Canada spanked by their NHL kin.

http://www.mmsonline.com/columns/is-why ... f-our-time
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #4710 by FlyHigh » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:09 pm

jester wrote:The World Cup of hockey should feature national teams. Full stop. Should occur every four years without question, and without haggling over player involvement. Full stop. It should rotate host nation(s) on a regular basis.

Congratulations, you just described the Olympics!

In any case, Hover just won the argument.
Kilgore Trout
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 18 times
Received rep: 13 times

Post #4711 by Kilgore Trout » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:24 pm

As long as Flyers players don't get hurt, I don't give a shit what international tournaments there are.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #4712 by jester » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:02 pm

FlyHigh wrote:

Congratulations, you just described the Olympics!

In any case, Hover just won the argument.

Or the FIFA World Cup. Or the IIHF World Championship reimagined. Or any tournament. Which gets to the heart of the matter ... there's nothing especially unique about the Olympics, other than it's consistent locale of an authoritarian regime under the operation of a deeply corrupt institution.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #4713 by jester » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:08 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:

Sorry to be a bother, Jester. This just happens to be the most interesting conversation that's been had in the better part of two years.

Your vision of what the World Cup should be is basically what the Olympics are, except without the pain in the dick owners carrying on about what the world owes them. And I'm sure there are other franchises (owners) out there that are concerned about losing their golden goose to injuries, or just plain losing them (for an extended period of time). But only the NHL's owners have bitched like this. I haven't heard much coming out of the KHL, or the SHL, or Liiga. And those league, not franchises, LEAGUES are in a far more precarious situation than the NHL.

And I agree, the NHL isn't this sacred cow... if the true fans, and players alike, succumb to apathy the same way we all gave in to the fucking shoot-out. The NHL has proven it doesn't give a fuck about you or I. But my hope is players like Jake, and Ovechkin just say "fuck it", and then players like Giroux say "fuck it" because they don't want to see Team Canada spanked by their NHL kin.

http://www.mmsonline.com/columns/is-why ... f-our-time

... I wouldn't complain about shootouts while extolling the virtues of the Olympics.

No one involved in these negotiations really cares about you or I, RP. The NHL is concerned about itself. The IOC is concerned about itself. The players are concerned about themselves. There is zero altruism in any of these people's posturing.

Sports culture is vastly different in Europe, RP, and the financials involved are much different. Additionally, the Olympics are significantly less impactful on most of those leagues. Sweden and Finland fill their rosters with NHL players for the most part, for example. Same goes for the Czechs, etc. Interesting enough, lack of NHL participation will impact those leagues a good bit.
dbr
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 10 times
Received rep: 1 time

Post #4714 by dbr » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:38 pm

Full meltdown on TSN radio in Toronto regarding the Leafs. Fucking great.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #4715 by Rogers Pancreas » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:47 pm

Go, Bolts, Go!
jester
Registered Broad

Post #4716 by jester » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:44 am

Stevens getting a look at the job in LA. I'd put money on him doing well.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #4717 by FlyHigh » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Oh interesting I was thinking the opposite based on his tenure here. Guess the theory is that working for Sutter would make him a better coach?
jester
Registered Broad

Post #4718 by jester » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:08 pm

FlyHigh wrote:Oh interesting I was thinking the opposite based on his tenure here. Guess the theory is that working for Sutter would make him a better coach?

Indeed. I firmly believe his primary flaw was lack of experience. He was very good at getting the team to play hard for him, but the team struggled with the details. As you might recall, he basically became a HC at both the AHL and NHL levels with no real apprenticeship. He assisted Barber briefly (a guy that was weak on the details himself), and then got promoted to assist Hitch the year he got fired.

So, presumably he got an opportunity to learn out there. He would not be the first (or last) coach to perform much better in his second job. Shit, we all watched one of the best current examples of it in baseball: Terry Francona.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 33 times
Received rep: 21 times

Post #4719 by CantSeeColors » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:18 pm

Belichick too
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #4720 by FlyHigh » Sat Apr 15, 2017 3:37 pm

Definitely makes sense, hope it works out for him, always seemed like a decent guy overall. Certainly has quite a challenge with that LAK roster if he does get the job, hopefully they would have some patience.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #4721 by Rogers Pancreas » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:27 pm

dbr
Registered Broad

Post #4722 by dbr » Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:37 pm

With Mullen gone it'll be interesting to see who Hextall decides to hire.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #4723 by Hovercraft » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:44 pm

Dubinsky just squished Crosby with 1 second left in the 3rd heading to OT. This game could get outta hand.
MiD
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 6 times

Post #4724 by MiD » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:47 pm

this game already was crazyImage
Rogers Pancreas

Post #4725 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:14 pm

I can't believe the refs didn't blow the play dead.

Shades of Thoreson on that shit.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #4726 by Rogers Pancreas » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:10 pm

If Columbus is knocked out of the playoffs, the list of teams I can actively cheer for gets cut to one - Nashville.

This year can't fucking end fast enough.
MiD
Registered Broad

Post #4727 by MiD » Mon Apr 17, 2017 1:13 pm

#cbj D Zach Werenski is out for remainder of series because of facial fractures
DeadPhish
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 17 times
Received rep: 22 times

Post #4728 by DeadPhish » Mon Apr 17, 2017 3:33 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:This year can't fucking end fast enough.

I thought they cancelled the playoffs this year?
dbr
Registered Broad

Post #4729 by dbr » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:23 pm

Don't give Bettman any ideas
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 833 times
Received rep: 435 times

Post #4730 by vonbonds » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:06 pm

Anyone but NYR or Pit and I'm happy.
Konecny HypeTrain Captain
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 15 times
Received rep: 32 times

Post #4731 by Konecny HypeTrain Captain » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:58 pm

if Washington loses to the Leafs in the first round that would be glorious, something about that team choking every year is hilarious.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #4732 by Rogers Pancreas » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:40 am

I could live with seeing Lundqvist or Ovechkin and Backstrom winning the Cup. Marchand, not so much.
Boring Choice #2
Has given rep: 206 times
Received rep: 226 times

Post #4733 by Boring Choice #2 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:00 am

where's the neg rep button when you need it?
MiD
Registered Broad

Re: RE: Re: News from Around the NHL 2

Post #4734 by MiD » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:04 am

Rogers Pancreas wrote:I could live with seeing Lundqvist or Ovechkin and Backstrom winning the Cup. Marchand, not so much.

So you were born in 2012?
FlyHigh
Registered Broad

Post #4735 by FlyHigh » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:34 am

Watching Cherry Hill Native Bobby Ryan do a Marchand on the Bruins was just glorious.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #4736 by CantSeeColors » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:36 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:I could live with seeing Lundqvist or Ovechkin and Backstrom winning the Cup. Marchand, not so much.

If he promised to get another misspelled tattoo, I might be ok with it.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #4737 by Rogers Pancreas » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:07 pm

MiD wrote:

So you were born in 2012?

Certain fanbases (i.e. Toronto, Boston, Pittsburgh, Montreal) always manage to piss me off. Certain players (i.e. Stevens, Brodeur, Tucker, Kasparitis, Pilon) piss me off. Brands are irrelevant.
chaosof99
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times

Post #4738 by chaosof99 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:24 am

As it turns out today is international shit on the Blackhawks day. Who knew?
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad

Post #4739 by CantSeeColors » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:51 am

Seven years later, lavi gets his revenge
dbr
Registered Broad

Post #4740 by dbr » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:25 am

Good on him.

I hate Subban, but I would gladly take him.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #4741 by Rogers Pancreas » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:08 pm

Kadri had a vintage Crosby dive goin' on. I was embarrassed for him.
MiD
Registered Broad

Post #4742 by MiD » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:12 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:Kadri had a vintage Crosby dive goin' on. I was embarrassed for him.

no, he was slashed by Niskanen
Rogers Pancreas

Post #4743 by Rogers Pancreas » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:15 pm

I'm aware that he was slashed. That does not excuse the theatrics, though.
MiD
Registered Broad

Post #4744 by MiD » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:21 pm

Rogers Pancreas wrote:I'm aware that he was slashed. That does not excuse the theatrics, though.

I don't know, that wasn't love tap
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #4745 by Hovercraft » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:10 pm

Kadri hit on OV was pretty trashy
chaosof99
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times

Post #4746 by chaosof99 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:14 pm

The Kings have indeed hired Stevens as their new head coach.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #4747 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:55 pm

I give him four years. Tops.
Rogers Pancreas

Post #4748 by Rogers Pancreas » Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:06 pm

Suck a fat dick, Toronto.
GoneFullHextall
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 28 times
Received rep: 9 times

Post #4749 by GoneFullHextall » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:25 am

CantSeeColors wrote:Seven years later, lavi gets his revenge

he says "see, look what my teams can do with a real NHL goaltender against Chicago"
dbr
Registered Broad

Post #4750 by dbr » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:21 am

Don't forget his defense in Nash. are miles ahead of what he had with us.

Nashville's defense fits Lavi's system perfectly.

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial Forum”