the tendon-cy to retire is natural.
now with even more memorial.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 45 times
Received rep: 32 times

Re: OT Thread, NOT Obsequious 2

Post #6301 by CantSeeColors » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:20 am

Yeah, I still hate losing the time to the commute even though I'm working 2-3 days a week from home now. It's so freeing to get that time back.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 21 times
Received rep: 30 times

Post #6302 by DeadPhish » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:12 pm

I usually work 2 days a week at home as well. I can't really complain too much about a commute though, even when I go into the office, it takes me 10 minutes.
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 10 times
Received rep: 105 times

Post #6303 by jester » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:01 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:Yeah, I still hate losing the time to the commute even though I'm working 2-3 days a week from home now. It's so freeing to get that time back.

When my twerps are more fully formed beings, commuting will lose its appeal quickly.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 29 times

Post #6304 by Hovercraft » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:26 pm

It blows my mind that 50% of the US votes for the GOP. The corruption and hypocrasy is insane.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6305 by jester » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:14 am

Hovercraft wrote:It blows my mind that 50% of the US votes for the GOP. The corruption and hypocrasy is insane.

In fairness to us, it's less than half ... which is a bit of a problem, given that this means we are in a minority rule situation.

In fairness to those voters, the Dems have not been a particularly effective party in trying to win their votes.

What should be alarming to all of us, is that the political/cultural divisions in the US are becoming increasingly stark and geographic in nature (urban v. rural, coasts v. middle/south). I am not on the "we are on the verge of another Civil War" train, but I do think we are going to struggle with this in the short-to-medium term. For the global community, that's no small problem given the economic and military capacity of the US.

In the immediate context of the moment, it's pretty remarkable the long-term damage the GOP is willing to do to SCOTUS for a short-term win. If Kavanaugh gave two shits about SCOTUS as an institution, he'd withdraw just to shield it from the damage his potential confirmation will do to it ... particularly with the already deeply problematic Gorsuch already seated.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 41 times
Received rep: 419 times

Post #6306 by Craig » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:25 am

Don't forget Clarence Thomas, who is like Kavanaugh lite.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 41 times
Received rep: 419 times

Post #6307 by Craig » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:33 am

The court is a little terrifying, because outside of the considerations of how bad Kavanaugh is and how illegitimately they got Gorsuch on there, the two oldest justices on the court are both Left leaning. That means if they leave while Trump is in office, there's a real chance that not only will the courts shift to the right, they'll shift so far to the right that the deciding vote on issues will be either Gorsuch or Alito. That's fucking mental.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #6308 by Hovercraft » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:53 am

Kavanaugh was lying through his teeth under oath and throwing a juvenile hissy fit. And somehow he's still fit for the SCOTUS? Regardless of whether the allegations are true or not (pretty clear that at least Ford's are though. July 1 1982 on his calendar...) he is clearly not fit for a lifetime appointment of such importance.

He swore to God though, so it's all good for the GOP base. As long as we don't all end up in the devils triangle....

If he gets confirmed and then Dems take senate in November, is there anything they can do to reverse it?
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 21 times

Post #6309 by FlyHigh » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:16 am

Nope, if the Dems do take control though in 2020, I'd be in favor of packing the Court at that point; time for extreme measures has come and this is starting to get worse than anything FDR dealt with (on the domestic political front at least), if we hit another depression, shit will really hit the fan.

In 15-20 years (e.g. once most of the boomers are dead), Republicans could struggle to poll at 40% if they keep going down this route, but as long as they can gerrymander and as long as ~20% of the population controls half the Senate, they'll still be in a position to keep screwing everyone over.

Gives me hope that a lot of friends are at least still having kids. Gf and I had a heart-to-heart a few months after the election and decided against it (clock is ticking for her). I'm generally indifferent (which would probably not be great for a father) and she'd been leaning against it and the election cemented it. We're both on the pessimistic side, but man, sometimes it's difficult to see how we make it to 2100 if things keep on like this. Glad that people seem to disagree.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #6310 by Hovercraft » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:30 am

My wife and I are on the pessimistic side about having children as well, even as Canadians. The world is a crazy place and we are destroying the environment("EPA"). It's hard to be hopeful while we are in this Trump era that still feels like some sort of sick Black Mirror/1984 dystopian/fascist joke.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6311 by jester » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:39 am

Craig wrote:Don't forget Clarence Thomas, who is like Kavanaugh lite.

Sure, but that's a 20 year old fight ... doesn't have the immediacy obviously. A far more problematic event between Thomas and today was the Court's involvement in Bush v. Gore.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6312 by jester » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:41 am

FlyHigh wrote:Nope, if the Dems do take control though in 2020, I'd be in favor of packing the Court at that point; time for extreme measures has come and this is starting to get worse than anything FDR dealt with (on the domestic political front at least), if we hit another depression, shit will really hit the fan.

In 15-20 years (e.g. once most of the boomers are dead), Republicans could struggle to poll at 40% if they keep going down this route, but as long as they can gerrymander and as long as ~20% of the population controls half the Senate, they'll still be in a position to keep screwing everyone over.

Gives me hope that a lot of friends are at least still having kids. Gf and I had a heart-to-heart a few months after the election and decided against it (clock is ticking for her). I'm generally indifferent (which would probably not be great for a father) and she'd been leaning against it and the election cemented it. We're both on the pessimistic side, but man, sometimes it's difficult to see how we make it to 2100 if things keep on like this. Glad that people seem to disagree.

The generational shift is likely to come sooner than that ... millenials are the largest generation in US history, and also the most diverse. Every year the electorate is going to change substantially as they turn 18. The key: getting them to fucking vote.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 5 times
Received rep: 21 times

Post #6313 by FlyHigh » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:23 pm

Hope you are right jester, I've been wondering when the shift is going to happen, would have thought it started more effectively 5ish years ago, but as you say, getting under-40s to vote is the key thing.
Rogers Pancreas
Has given rep: 36 times
Received rep: 89 times

Post #6314 by Rogers Pancreas » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:27 pm

Is it okay to post a woman's nipples on the internet if it's art, or do I need to photoshop in Ricky Gervais' instead?

Fuck it.

His Satanic Majestic Request

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial Forum”