The Tendoncy to Retire is Natural
jester
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 12 times
Received rep: 147 times

Re: OT Thread, NOT Obsequious 2

Post #6701 by jester » Thu May 14, 2020 6:36 pm

Kilgore Trout wrote:
chaosof99 wrote:The funny thing is Burr is probably just getting thrown under the bus because he was for the Mueller investigation. Still didn't stop him from voting against conviction. PoS, hopefully getting locked up.

Can you be a global hegemon and a banana republic at the same time? Asking for a friend.

USSR says hi.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6702 by jester » Thu May 14, 2020 6:42 pm

chaosof99 wrote:The funny thing is Burr is probably just getting thrown under the bus because he was for the Mueller investigation. Still didn't stop him from voting against conviction. PoS, hopefully getting locked up.

Edit: Burr has stepped down as Senate intel chair. Should have resigned altogether.

Burr certainly didn't make friends with the MAGA crowd, but as said previously he seemed pretty fucked from the start. DOJ put Collins in jail for the same thing, and he was one of Trump's earliest supporters. I think an exacerbating factor for Trump/GOP leadership is that this seems pretty indefensible in an election year. That said, there was no way they were going to sweep this one under the rug.

Worth noting, Burr going down is a potentially massive deal. NC has a Dem gov and the state is swingy and swinging left right now. In short, that seat may go Dem. And as we speak the other NC Senator (Tillis - GOP) is losing pretty much every poll I have seen. GOP's *hope* is a razor thin Senate majority come January, so this is a potential disaster.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6703 by jester » Thu May 14, 2020 6:47 pm

JLHockeyKnight wrote:
chaosof99 wrote:Because we discussed this a couple of months ago: Senator Richard Burr has been served in person by the FBI, and they seized his cell phone.

https://www.latimes.com/politics/story/ ... estigation

Meanwhile the US just passed 36 million for unemployment claims.

I can't stand people like Burr that pull this shit. It's the selfish "I got mine" mentality. I don't care how much money and time it takes in our court system - nail his ass to the wall along with anyone else that pulled shit like this.

In general, our investigation and prosecution of white collar crime is ... criminally negligent. For example, it's pretty much a known fact that the NYC and Miami real estate markets are awash in dirty money. No one wants to do anything about it, though, because it's a lot of tax revenue for the cities/states.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 78 times
Received rep: 869 times

Post #6704 by Craig » Thu May 14, 2020 10:03 pm

I feel like you guys are using banana Republic differently than I do.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 134 times
Received rep: 40 times

Post #6705 by JLHockeyKnight » Fri May 22, 2020 4:07 pm

General check-in. How's everyone doing?
DeadPhish
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 34 times
Received rep: 50 times

Post #6706 by DeadPhish » Fri May 22, 2020 5:07 pm

So far so good. They told us today we won't be going back to the office for a very long time, which is fine since we worked at home half the time anyway.

Running out of things to do though, so gonna get the boat in the water this weekend.

I really miss going to places.

How's things with you JL?
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6707 by jester » Fri May 22, 2020 5:12 pm

DeadPhish wrote:So far so good. They told us today we won't be going back to the office for a very long time, which is fine since we worked at home half the time anyway.

Running out of things to do though, so gonna get the boat in the water this weekend.

Yeah, basically everywhere that can do remote work seems to be extending it off towards the horizon. They are in zero hurry to get folks back in the office at my place (I work remotely to begin with).

At least the weather is getting nicer, right? Thank god we have a back yard ...
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 66 times
Received rep: 47 times

Post #6708 by CantSeeColors » Fri May 22, 2020 8:59 pm

jester wrote:
DeadPhish wrote:So far so good. They told us today we won't be going back to the office for a very long time, which is fine since we worked at home half the time anyway.

Yeah, basically everywhere that can do remote work seems to be extending it off towards the horizon. They are in zero hurry to get folks back in the office at my place (I work remotely to begin with).

I keep saying how happy I am to have moved to the burbs a couple years ago. My sister in law lives in a northern liberties apartment... she’s pulling her hair out
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #6709 by JLHockeyKnight » Fri May 22, 2020 9:43 pm

My 2 year old has entered the terrible two's as early as she possibly could. Her "witching hour" lasts 3 hours ever night which is pretty much the time I let off of work, get zero break and have to immediately jump into "dad mode" so my wife can work a few hours in the late afternoon. 1/3 of my nights I drink myself into nothingness. Usually most nights I'm too exhausted to even watch Netflix. Other than that, life is fucking glorious. :bettman:

Fucking open the daycares. I don't care anymore.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #6710 by JLHockeyKnight » Fri May 22, 2020 9:43 pm

On a brighter note, I can work from home and accomplish 98% of my job. So yeah, I'll be working from home for a while.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #6711 by JLHockeyKnight » Fri May 22, 2020 9:45 pm

jester wrote:

1.7 acres in one of the lowest impacted counties in NJ and reasonable tax rates for the amount of land and size of house I own compared to elsewhere in my area of the state. I'm definitely luckier than many in the more densely populated areas.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6712 by jester » Fri May 22, 2020 10:11 pm

CantSeeColors wrote:
jester wrote:

I keep saying how happy I am to have moved to the burbs a couple years ago. My sister in law lives in a northern liberties apartment... she’s pulling her hair out

We literally moved into the new house from a townhouse rental a week before the lockdown. This sucks, but going outside is a nice break from the shit of daily life. I feel awful for anyone stick with kids in apartments.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 44 times
Received rep: 53 times

Post #6713 by Hovercraft » Sat May 23, 2020 6:50 am

Yeah I've been getting out to my Cabin and going camping a couple nights a week now that the weather is getting better. Also getting going on my vegtable garden. Getting outside is so key for mental health right now.

Last weekend:

We also hit 15 straight days with no new cases, only 4 known active cases left in the province. On June 8th a lot more stuff is reopening. I have a multiday thru hike booked for July at Gros Morne national park, I'm really hoping it doesn't get canceled as its been a bucket list thing for me for a few years.

Glad none of you guys are getting sick down there, hopefully the worst is over for your states.
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6714 by jester » Sat May 23, 2020 9:19 am

Hovercraft wrote:Yeah I've been getting out to my Cabin and going camping a couple nights a week now that the weather is getting better. Also getting going on my vegtable garden. Getting outside is so key for mental health right now.

Last weekend:

We also hit 15 straight days with no new cases, only 4 known active cases left in the province. On June 8th a lot more stuff is reopening. I have a multiday thru hike booked for July at Gros Morne national park, I'm really hoping it doesn't get canceled as its been a bucket list thing for me for a few years.

Glad none of you guys are getting sick down there, hopefully the worst is over for your states.

Well ... the imperial guys just predicted more Americans will die in the next few months than have to this point due to relaxing restrictions. So, hopefully they're wrong?

It's infuriating that we've done all of this and the centralized response is still a disaster.
FlyHigh
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 6 times
Received rep: 27 times

Post #6715 by FlyHigh » Sat May 23, 2020 10:25 pm

Thoughts and prayers to you folks with kids right now. Been stuck in my apt since mid-March and been trying to respect the lockdown, so minimal human contact (talk to my cat a lot these days), but feel very fortunate compared to a lot of folks, hope you all are hanging in and that things get easier soon.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #6716 by Hovercraft » Mon May 25, 2020 9:51 am

Anyone getting into gardening during lockdown? I'm planting a bunch of veggies today
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 78 times
Received rep: 869 times

Post #6717 by Craig » Mon May 25, 2020 10:28 am

I planted some seeds about 8-9 days ago, but haven't seen any of them come up yet, which sucks. It was tough here in Ontario, because they didn't really open up the garden centres and stuff early enough for me to get organized to do it well, so I ended up just buying seeds and hoping for the best.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #6718 by Hovercraft » Mon May 25, 2020 5:42 pm

Gardening season only starts in Newfoundland around now anyway so well timed with lockdown and such. So far I'm doing garlic, peas, cabbage, broccoli, potato, lettuce, spinach and parsley. Will plant some carrots, beets, beans, zuchini and cucumber when it warms up a little more.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #6719 by JLHockeyKnight » Mon May 25, 2020 9:19 pm

Hovercraft wrote:Anyone getting into gardening during lockdown? I'm planting a bunch of veggies today

I keep wanting to but my wife doesn't want to out the work in and she's the more green thumb one in the relationship so I'd need her help. We have an old dog pen too and no dog so it's perfect for growing one and keeping the deer out.

Speaking of which, if those fuckers show up and eat all my hostas again I may invest in a hunting license.
CantSeeColors
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 66 times
Received rep: 47 times

Post #6720 by CantSeeColors » Mon May 25, 2020 9:45 pm

JLHockeyKnight wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:Anyone getting into gardening during lockdown? I'm planting a bunch of veggies today

I keep wanting to but my wife doesn't want to out the work in and she's the more green thumb one in the relationship so I'd need her help. We have an old dog pen too and no dog so it's perfect for growing one and keeping the deer out.

Speaking of which, if those fuckers show up and eat all my hostas again I may invest in a hunting license.

You like green beans? Those little bastards barely take any work. I severely neglected my vegetable garden last year but they still grew well
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6721 by jester » Tue May 26, 2020 11:02 am

Planted some tomatoes and a little herb garden planter. Been wanting to do it for a while, and seemed like a decent distraction to have around with the kids. Wife bought a lemon tree a couple weeks ago -- we'll see how that goes.

I enjoy gardening/landscaping in general (nice sense of "I did that" when your yard looks nice), but adding on chores/tasks to two kids under 5 y/o is ... not too appealing, to put it mildly. We do want to get a nice little patio area put in the back yard of the new place, so that'll provide a bit more incentive to make the whole area look nice (prior owners established a lot of nice plants, so we mostly need to avoid fucking it up).
jester
Registered Broad

Post #6722 by jester » Tue May 26, 2020 11:03 am

CantSeeColors wrote:
JLHockeyKnight wrote:

You like green beans? Those little bastards barely take any work. I severely neglected my vegetable garden last year but they still grew well

I am seriously contemplating making a string bean (or other climbing plant) teepee for the kids in the backyard. Much like the post above, shit to burn time away with that they'll enjoy.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #6723 by DeadPhish » Tue May 26, 2020 6:13 pm

Hovercraft wrote:Gardening season only starts in Newfoundland around now anyway so well timed with lockdown and such. So far I'm doing garlic, peas, cabbage, broccoli, potato, lettuce, spinach and parsley. Will plant some carrots, beets, beans, zuchini and cucumber when it warms up a little more.

We are big into growing peppers. We grow them from seed starting in February and just got them in containers last weekend. We have about 60 plants (slow year for us) of 20 varieties from Jalapenos to superhots.

I'm also doing some tomatoes this year, but we not usually have alot of luck since the squirrels destroy them.
JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #6724 by JLHockeyKnight » Tue May 26, 2020 9:34 pm

jester wrote:

Planted some tomatoes and a little herb garden planter. Been wanting to do it for a while, and seemed like a decent distraction to have around with the kids. Wife bought a lemon tree a couple weeks ago -- we'll see how that goes.

I enjoy gardening/landscaping in general (nice sense of "I did that" when your yard looks nice), but adding on chores/tasks to two kids under 5 y/o is ... not too appealing, to put it mildly. We do want to get a nice little patio area put in the back yard of the new place, so that'll provide a bit more incentive to make the whole area look nice (prior owners established a lot of nice plants, so we mostly need to avoid fucking it up).

I hear that. I replaced the screens on my two screen doors this weekend and felt like a fucking champ. Take the little victories until the kids reach a more "controllable" age.
Hovercraft
Registered Broad

Post #6725 by Hovercraft » Wed May 27, 2020 6:47 am

DeadPhish wrote:
Hovercraft wrote:Gardening season only starts in Newfoundland around now anyway so well timed with lockdown and such. So far I'm doing garlic, peas, cabbage, broccoli, potato, lettuce, spinach and parsley. Will plant some carrots, beets, beans, zuchini and cucumber when it warms up a little more.

We are big into growing peppers. We grow them from seed starting in February and just got them in containers last weekend. We have about 60 plants (slow year for us) of 20 varieties from Jalapenos to superhots.

I'm also doing some tomatoes this year, but we not usually have alot of luck since the squirrels destroy them.

That's awesome I've done some peppers before but they need to be in a greenhouse here. I've done jalapeno, banana and bell but it's hard to get them to grow big here.
DeadPhish
Registered Broad

Post #6726 by DeadPhish » Fri May 29, 2020 6:42 pm

Boat is in the water, so I finally have something to do that doesn't involve yardwork.

JLHockeyKnight
Registered Broad

Post #6727 by JLHockeyKnight » Sat May 30, 2020 7:19 pm

So I took some initiative and cleared out the weeds in the dog pen. Cut down most of the tree that was in there. Today, I demolished the dog house that was in there (the previous owner was a carpenter, so this wasn't your standard "dog house" but more of a miniature house built to code that an animal the size of a dog could take shelter in). Cut back a lot of the vines and tree branches hanging over the fence. And threw the sheet wood down along with the tarp to kill the weeds off. For now, we have a pallet that's leftover from a Home Depot delivery and we're going to grow vegetables and put them on the pallets to keep them elevated. Ordered a bunch of potting soil to plant seeds and vegetable plants. I figure next spring before the weeds grow up, I'll till the ground in the pen then get down garden soil and we can do a formal garden in the ground. Feeling pretty accomplished honestly.

Return to “The Eric Wellwood Memorial”