stock tok etc.

..et d'autres discussions ennuyeuses
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 785 times
Received rep: 492 times

Re: stock tok etc.

Post #1701 by Slick Nick » Sat May 05, 2018 7:30 pm

Craig wrote:So many words to say digital beanie babies.

Do you have some beanies, Greg?

http://www.bitbean.org
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 357 times

Post #1702 by Craig » Sat May 05, 2018 7:32 pm

That makes no sense to me. But what do I know, I've only spent twelve years working in financial and network programming.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #1703 by Slick Nick » Sat May 05, 2018 7:37 pm

Craig wrote:That makes no sense to me. But what do I know, I've only spent twelve years working in financial and network programming.

Can I use you as an adviser when I launch my own coin? Like I really just need to list people with good linkedins to give some credibility to the project. I will pay you in tokens.
PredsFan77
Has given rep: 127 times
Received rep: 363 times

Post #1704 by PredsFan77 » Sat May 05, 2018 7:38 pm

you can add me
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #1705 by Craig » Sat May 05, 2018 7:40 pm

Slick Nick wrote:
Craig wrote:That makes no sense to me. But what do I know, I've only spent twelve years working in financial and network programming.

Can I use you as an adviser when I launch my own coin? Like I really just need to list people with good linkedins to give some credibility to the project. I will pay you in tokens.

Dog would be more impressive.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #1706 by Slick Nick » Sat May 05, 2018 7:47 pm

PredsFan77 wrote:you can add me

What can you advise on?
PredsFan77

Post #1707 by PredsFan77 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:05 pm

Slick Nick wrote:

What can you advise on?

Deez Nuts
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #1708 by Slick Nick » Sat May 05, 2018 8:28 pm

PredsFan77 wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:

What can you advise on?

Deez Nuts

Meme coordinator!

Hired!
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #1709 by Slick Nick » Tue May 08, 2018 12:12 am

I don't know if it will make more sense but maybe these two quick vids could be helpfull.

So basically Ethereum's a decentralized network on top of which you can build applications (ERC20 Tokens) and which functions with GAS (fractions of ETH that are sent by the parties involved in a transaction on the network to the miners that approve the transactions).

An exemple of an ERC20 token with an actual use case is VEN.

VeChain is a Blockchain-as-a-Service company that aims to provide trustless and transparent supply chain management to industries across the board.

Using smart chips that were designed and manufactured in-house, VeChain is able to track goods and ensure product quality and authenticity. This enables retailers to prove that the luxury items they are selling are legitimate, giving consumers peace of mind that they aren’t being scammed.

So when Ven, or any application built in top of ethereum generates a transaction, you need to pay gas. Let's say you bought 100 VEN tokens on an exchange and want to send it to your wallet, you send the VEN to you VEN address in your Ether wallet and you have to have ETH to pay for gas. If you only have VEN and BTC, you won't be able to send your VEN.

Thus, the idea that if one of the platforms becomes widely adopted, it will always require more of the said coin to be able to use the platform. Now it also implies that if a platform becomes widely adopted and speculators inflate the price of the coin, less people will want to use the chain.. but there's a dual mechanism since those miners who collect the GAS also sell it on a regular basis to pay for their costs of operation, and thus push the price down.

Anyway, the idea of trading mostly these coins is that it seems like a safer bet and they are also the most capitalized coins so their volatility (although absurdly high by traditional markets standard) is not as high as the application/speculation coins...
Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 63 times
Received rep: 79 times

Post #1710 by Ricard_Persson » Tue May 08, 2018 12:57 pm

I got no idea what all this Betcoin stuff in. I used to collect coins as a kid. Stamps and Comic books too. Are these Betcoins like that? Can I trade them like Pogs.

Forget the Slammer, I'll stick to the market. On a good run with Shopify here. I think I'll unload again close to $200. I think it should get there. If it closes over $184 today, it should get there within the week. Locking in profits was my biggest change from when I was young, dumb and full of chum. The last three years have been pretty good and those simple rules of sell if you go lower than 8% under your buy, and sell on good runs has actually worked. Started with barely 5 digits, but the old girl is starting to grow. Big buy blocks really are key now that I can see it from that perspective. No one the rich filthy animals just keep getting richer.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #1711 by Slick Nick » Wed May 09, 2018 12:43 am

Ricard_Persson wrote:I got no idea what all this Betcoin stuff in. I used to collect coins as a kid. Stamps and Comic books too. Are these Betcoins like that? Can I trade them like Pogs.

I sent 15$ worth of pogs to two poor Venezuelans last week.. they were not begging for money, but they ended up posting pictures of their fridges and it was one of the saddest thing I've seen in a while.. a bunch of us sent them small amounts of pogs and now they can pay a year worth of rent, but most likely buy shiny shoes and booze, but who cares really?
PredsFan77

Post #1712 by PredsFan77 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:14 pm

people still trade pogs?
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
PredsFan77

Post #1713 by PredsFan77 » Wed May 09, 2018 6:49 pm

CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Dog
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1606 times
Received rep: 1102 times

Post #1714 by Dog » Wed May 09, 2018 7:10 pm

save 75% of your income is great advise!

may be easier to do on a few mil a year, though.
Ricard_Persson

Post #1715 by Ricard_Persson » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:51 pm

Ricard_Persson wrote:Just loaded up full portfolio in Shopify on this large pullback. I think I might be a bit early and it will probably go a little lower, but I shaved $24 off a share price from last month and that was the goal.

Full portfolio buys always get the heart pumping. :wink: :donger: :vince:

Looking to sell Shopify soon. It's gone up nicely since the March 28th buy. $219 right now, and I bought at $160 end of March.

She's been a good girl, but I'm guessing we'll see a pullback soon. Then I'll get right back in, don't you worry chicpea.
PredsFan77

Post #1716 by PredsFan77 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:33 pm

CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Ricard_Persson

Post #1717 by Ricard_Persson » Mon Jun 18, 2018 10:28 pm

Pulled out at $226.50. Full sell.

Putting it here for record keeping.

Nothing really wrong with the chart and it may still climb, but I have to lock in profit. It’s ran up really quick over the last couple months. It’s been my biggest change that I’ve made and it’s really been a key. So many times I’d ride up and then down...do it again in a couple months, rinse and repeat.

Feels better to just sell after a good run. Maybe I have to buy in higher after it builds a new base but what I don’t have to do is watch gains melt away. It took a lot of losses to believe that one.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #1718 by Craig » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:52 am

I'm starting to seriously consider pulling everything out of the markets until the whole trade war with China thing blows over. I'm about as committed a long term buy and hold couch potato guy as there is, but it feels like there's a real risk of total disaster ahead of us.
Ricard_Persson

Post #1719 by Ricard_Persson » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:29 am

I'm an idiot but things seem way too good to be true in the market right now. There is nothing wrong with selling to lock in your gains. Like I've said in the past I was stubborn and held long and wouldn't sell. It wiped me out of high risk stuff. Crushed me. After not touching it for 10 years I came back and made two rules. I'd sell anything the went down more than 8% from my buy (admit I was wrong), and I'd lock in profits when I could.

The market has been really strong the last few years but my gains have been unbelievable. This was sort of a small toy account but it's become surprisingly large. Very few mistakes was the key and when I made one with CXI I sold at a loss. CXI did come back and I try and buy stuff that "should" always go up long term if I have to become a long term holder. But by selling it meant I could move on into something else and not wait months to get my money back.

But if I look back on my big winners and see how much they yo-yo'd up and down on a chart I can really see how much % points there is to be had by doing a little swing trading. I rode DRT, IRD and SHOP up all those swings. What goes way up usually comes back down close to where it was at some point to build a new base. We see these with almost all stock price charts and I think you're correct and that we're going to see it with the main market. It's been insanely good and that does not last. Plus I think there is some substance to PuFF77's housing market crisis ahead. It's going to happen but just not sure how bad.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1720 by Dog » Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:50 am

I liquidated roughly 2\3 of my portfolio after Trump won fearing the effects of protectionalism and general stupidity. Been sitting idly by waiting to be right.....

I've mentioned before, I've liquidated a few times. Once near market highs in early 2008. That was good. Once in 2010. That was bad (bought back in later). 2016, bad so far but who knows. Overall, they kinda even up.

That said, in an environment of rising interest rates, prospects of protectionism and rising tariffs and with valuations so high, it really does not seem unreasonable to me to sell.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #1721 by Craig » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:08 am

Surely the rest of the market thinks that too, so it's already priced in though, right? Right?
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1722 by Dog » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:19 am

Craig wrote:Surely the rest of the market thinks that too, so it's already priced in though, right? Right?

Market’s tough to predict and the result of a bunch of forces. You have tax cuts and hot economy on one side and protectionism and rising rates on the other. Short termisn vs more long term investors. Herd mentalities. Etc.
AD
Has given rep: 599 times
Received rep: 667 times

Post #1723 by AD » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:24 am

I... I switched to an actively managed portfolio about 5 months ago hoping that the 1.15% I pay this asshole will be offset by him making some sensible conservative decisions.

Other than a good play on bonds, …. meh..
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1724 by Dog » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:31 am

AD wrote:I... I switched to an actively managed portfolio about 5 months ago hoping that the 1.15% I pay this asshole will be offset by him making some sensible conservative decisions.

Other than a good play on bonds, …. meh..

The thing is that you're giving him like 25% of your assets over a 20 year period. It's practically impossible for him to overcome that and make you extra money above market (which you'd get from an index fund).

But I've learned that diy is not for everyone, even with a "simple" indexed buy and hold strategy. I pay for people to do stuff for me all the time, so this is a cost like anything else. Just particularly expensive. Can you find somebody that would do it on a flat fee basis?
AD

Post #1725 by AD » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:29 pm

Yeah you're right. Though you may be overstating the cost at 25%. You're looking at that 25% as against buying direct stocks yourself. Which is hard considering the time constraints of doing smart choices (especially these days when Trump could tweet he hates Coca Cola and ruin Berkshire for fucks sake). Also, the 25% loss would be over 40 years vs the cheapest ETFs possible. Not 20 years. Its 12% at 20 years.

And you can go back to cheapo couch potato investing after a few years instead of just sitting out like you are. ;)

You'd have to compare 1.1% vs whatever you have. Like not every ETF is under 0.2%. (which would mean a.9% difference) And those that are, I believe, are wildly too Trump-sensitive right now. I had a couple of ETFs at .17, some at .4, and one at .65.

Anyway. Its definitely more expensive than holding cheap ETFs. But somehow I think in more turbulent/unpredictable times there is a benefit to that cost. One mostly of trying to time good Fixed Asset buying. So far so good on that front.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1726 by Dog » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:04 pm

AD wrote:Yeah you're right. Though you may be overstating the cost at 25%. You're looking at that 25% as against buying direct stocks yourself. Which is hard considering the time constraints of doing smart choices (especially these days when Trump could tweet he hates Coca Cola and ruin Berkshire for fucks sake). Also, the 25% loss would be over 40 years vs the cheapest ETFs possible. Not 20 years. Its 12% at 20 years.

And you can go back to cheapo couch potato investing after a few years instead of just sitting out like you are. ;)

You'd have to compare 1.1% vs whatever you have. Like not every ETF is under 0.2%. (which would mean a.9% difference) And those that are, I believe, are wildly too Trump-sensitive right now. I had a couple of ETFs at .17, some at .4, and one at .65.

Anyway. Its definitely more expensive than holding cheap ETFs. But somehow I think in more turbulent/unpredictable times there is a benefit to that cost. One mostly of trying to time good Fixed Asset buying. So far so good on that front.

Something like VT (https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/profile/fees/vt) has over 8,000 stocks from around the world for a 0.1% management fees. If you don't feel good about the world economy, you can pull back. He won't know anything more than you. Studies consistently show it's best to just leave it in with a long enough time horizon, though. Resisting the impulse to react is probably the hardest thing. If you want to overweight US, buy VTI. If you want to overweight non US, buy VXUS. Developing economies, VWO. Don't want to overweight some regions and go all world, VT as I mentioned above. Doesn't have to be more complicated than that. The whole investment advisor industry is a "scam" in my mind. If at least they charged reasonable flat fees.

If you want to have active management on the fixed income side, you can do that. Index your equity portion and just give your fixed income portion under management. Also not convinced you can get much a premium in the bond market with active management, but that's more debatable.
AD

Post #1727 by AD » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:12 pm

I'm at 40% fixed income right now (which I feel is way too high usually) and 10% cash. But I'm really appreciating the ride in the last 3 months. And from what I see he has me mostly in Canadian banks and some horribly unethical American companies (like... weapons and oil or some shit like that).

None of these choices seemed rational to me (or natural to me) but he's done good. Probably going to collapse soon though.

And I have no land...
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1728 by Dog » Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:18 pm

AD wrote:And I have no land...

saves the hassle of having to defend it. good thinking.
PredsFan77

Post #1729 by PredsFan77 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:07 pm

Yalls a bunch of Nancy's
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #1730 by Craig » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:29 pm

.6% in an ETF? That's like... High.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #1731 by Craig » Tue Jun 19, 2018 6:30 pm

Switching a chunk of my portfolio into fixed income is probably a happy middle ground. I should look at that.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1732 by Dog » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:29 pm

Keep it short term if you do, this is a rising rate environment.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #1733 by Craig » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:54 pm

Ugh. Geez, you can't win right now.
AD

Post #1734 by AD » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:28 pm

Craig wrote:.6% in an ETF? That's like... High.

It is a ... particular one.

:paranoid:
PredsFan77

Post #1735 by PredsFan77 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:55 pm

$ALS.TO - newfie jesus' favorite stock
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
PredsFan77

Post #1736 by PredsFan77 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:08 pm

See it's up 2% today, y'all welcome
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Ricard_Persson

Post #1737 by Ricard_Persson » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:34 pm

Hate to say it but I don’t like it. Mining scares me as a news release tomorrow can swing it 20% either way.

However the chart isn’t great. It’s slipped under the 200 day moving average. If it doesn’t close over $13.23 in the next couple days it could slide down further.

It also bounced off of $14.70ish twice and then recently bounced off a lower number. The consecutive lower bounces doesn’t look good as well as the last three “bottoms” have all been lower than the previous one.

Looks like a down trend to me without a good PR soon.
PredsFan77

Post #1738 by PredsFan77 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:52 pm

its a royalty company. but good news if ur right uncle rico for me and newfie J, my buy orders never trigged today.
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Ricard_Persson

Post #1739 by Ricard_Persson » Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:08 pm

SHOP is dropping like a rock. The hard part is always where to get back in. This could be a good tumble. The 50 day moving average is $187 and I think it will get there. In April it got within 10% of the 200 day average $157. I'd be all over a buy near there. Don't know if it dips that far. These things are tricky.

http://stockcharts.com/h-sc/ui?s=SHOP.TO&p=D&yr=0&mn=6&dy=0&id=p72909258423
PredsFan77

Post #1740 by PredsFan77 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:22 am

CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Big Susf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 918 times
Received rep: 707 times

Post #1741 by Big Susf » Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:42 am

Thinking about dumping all of my Berkshire shares. I do not trust Lee Enterprises to toy around with my pocket change. :getzyawnf:
PredsFan77

Post #1742 by PredsFan77 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:42 pm

CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Big Susf
Registered Broad

Post #1743 by Big Susf » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:23 pm

predo, you still taking the extra Leer jet or am I giving it to UNICEF? I need a little space to park my Space Force F-99 prototype for the Air Force and Donnie.
PredsFan77

Post #1744 by PredsFan77 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:59 pm

learjets are trash
CDX.NA.IG.9

[LEFT]Image[/LEFT]
Big Susf
Registered Broad

Post #1745 by Big Susf » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:40 pm

that's why im giving it to you. hoping it crashes. it was the first model to come out back in the day. i thought it was sufficient. the g13 suits me well.

here's the hunk of shit:

Big Susf
Registered Broad

Post #1746 by Big Susf » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:44 pm

heres what i flew vonbonds in after i paid his mortgage for the year so he could afford that volvo.

Ricard_Persson

Post #1747 by Ricard_Persson » Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:30 am

I think CXI is going to break out of it's $30 range soon. Chart looks good. http://schrts.co/N6JZmW

It been a bit of a roller coaster and more of a long hold if you're looking for park money. Here's a 2.5 year chart. http://schrts.co/XDb7Mj

I think it hits $40 soon. We'll check back in a couple months.
Ricard_Persson

Post #1748 by Ricard_Persson » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:01 am

Shopify in a real drop now. It took longer than I thought, but I was happy to sit on the sidelines as it was due for a strong pullback. In the last couple months it's been quite tame and predictable on the chart.

http://schrts.co/nVfNRF

It bounced right off the 50 day blue line in late June. I didn't buy there because I thought it needed to drop lower. A good sign of strength though and look at the chart, it hit right on the 50 line and bounced up again. It made a good run from the $190 to $230 and I certainly left money on the table by not being in, but really the volume was low going up which to me showed some weakness.

Then again the chart shows the bounce , this time down. The mid June all time high of $232.65 was tested last week and look at that, it hits $232.43 and can't close above the old high. What happens, a sure sign of weakness and a drop. Now it's blown through the blue line 50 day moving average and is in a free fall. It's coming up to the 200 day moving average at $166 which on any stock that you like on the long side, is always a buy point.

I'm going to have to read some news on them as I really have tuned completely out for the summer, but it's going to be hard to not hit Buy at the 200 day moving line. We'll see, but what a true chart on this one currently. It's behaved nicely at this point. I'm guessing it bounces off the 200 and goes sideways for a bit, rebuilding a base before going back up to test $232. I have to check the press releases though.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #1749 by Dog » Thu Aug 02, 2018 11:56 am

Who would have thought that an iPod and its descendants would get you a trillion dollars?

:dunno:

Return to “Le mur de messages”