Lars Eller - The Cinnfully Forgotten Dane

And some artists..
Dog
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1832 times
Received rep: 1212 times

Re: Lars Eller - The Cinnfully Forgotten Dane

Post #151 by Dog » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:25 pm

If you want to be super precise and describe each particle’s time relative to another, you can by comparing their relative mass and velocity. That’s as precise as you’ll be.

If you want to be more macro, because the differences in mass and velocity of different particles connected into what we would usually call an ´object’ are very very small, you can not use a super precise atomic clock for each particle and kinda average it out. Technically, your head will be younger than your feet, but not by any noticeable amount.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #152 by Dog » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:27 pm

Macbeth wrote:I have all the financial woes and worries one can dream of and I still post on Broads.

MENS UP YOU FUCKING PUSSIES

Why would anybody not post on broads during a rough patch? I don’t see the correlation. Your heart isn’t in it sorta thing? This is a distraction, like watching tv or reading a book or whatnot.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #153 by Dog » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:52 pm

But broads are mens helping mens to a good degree. Because no ladies want to join us.

:(
Macbeth
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 615 times
Received rep: 551 times

Post #154 by Macbeth » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:10 pm

Dog wrote:But broads are mens helping mens to a good degree. Because no ladies want to join us.

Every time I've spoken on and about Broads womens have given me this look of "Whaaaaat in the blue fuck !?" and disbelief.

It's cost me a great deal of pain, Dogo.
IcE ColD
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 41 times
Received rep: 92 times

Post #155 by IcE ColD » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:11 pm

Macbeth wrote:I have all the financial woes and worries one can dream of and I still post on Broads.

MENS UP YOU FUCKING PUSSIES

We prefer being grabbed, thank you. :crossarms:
This whole idea that we are even important is a fucking illusion. We’re just an accident left to our own devices.

Trent Reznor - 24/07/2018
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #156 by Dog » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:27 pm

Macbeth wrote:
Dog wrote:But broads are mens helping mens to a good degree. Because no ladies want to join us.

Every time I've spoken on and about Broads womens have given me this look of "Whaaaaat in the blue fuck !?" and disbelief.

Yeah I don’t talk about broads irl. My wife, though, took extraordinary pleasure in telling everybody we were going to the wedding of my internet friend when we went to greg’s wedding.
Macbeth
Registered Broad

Post #157 by Macbeth » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:30 pm

Dog wrote:
Macbeth wrote:

Yeah I don’t talk about broads irl. My wife, though, took extraordinary pleasure in telling everybody we were going to the wedding of my internet friend when we went to greg’s wedding.

I like to gage the reaction.

I am always disappointed when someone goes, "Oh, hunh, alright, cool".
Slick Nick
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1090 times
Received rep: 671 times

Post #158 by Slick Nick » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:49 pm

When I refer to the broads irl I always put emphasis on how I’m friends with great lawyers, famous filmmakers and music producers
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #159 by Dog » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:51 pm

Dog wrote:If you want to be super precise and describe each particle’s time relative to another, you can by comparing their relative mass and velocity. That’s as precise as you’ll be.

If you want to be more macro, because the differences in mass and velocity of different particles connected into what we would usually call an ´object’ are very very small, you can not use a super precise atomic clock for each particle and kinda average it out. Technically, your head will be younger than your feet, but not by any noticeable amount.

This kinda brings up an innaresting subject, though, greg. Something called « emergence ». A system you can describe at a macro level without reference to the micro underpinnings. Something like how you can perfectly describe the actions of a fluid, like air, without referring to or needing to calculate and account for the individual molecules that make it up. You can describe things at different levels. But they have to be mutually consistent. Similarly, we don’t have a quantum description of economics, yet. Or consciousness, for that matter. The level of information we’d need about every particle contributing to it and the computational capacity to run the projection is far beyond our reach, but, as far as they can tell, that is for lack of computing ability and observational data on each particle in the system. Quantum mechanics, and quantum field theory specifically, is the most predictive area of all of science. Nothing else is as precise in predicting outcomes and no macro outcomes are, as far as we know, incompatible with it. Don’t know if you’ve ever heard of the equations of the standard model of particle physics. It describes, with great precision, every observation we’ve ever made on earth...up to our computational abilities. It’s the « theory of nearly everything » as it’s only lacking stuff not relevant for things happening on earth (such as quantum gravity in singularities and stuff we don’t know what it is yet like dark matter).

https://www.symmetrymagazine.org/articl ... l-equation

Basically, given relevant info of every particle affecting a hockey game and enough computational power, beaker’s fancy stats would be 100% predictive! We have the formula, just not the data and computational power.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #160 by Dog » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:53 pm

Slick Nick wrote:When I refer to the broads irl I always put emphasis on how I’m friends with great lawyers, famous filmmakers and music producers

My neighbors have been patiently waiting, for the better part of the last decade, for my movie that my internet friend is going to make.
Nobak
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 67 times
Received rep: 45 times

Post #161 by Nobak » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:58 pm

The containment thread is an abject failure.
Ninja signature
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #162 by Dog » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:02 pm

This is indirectly about Lars Eller, NOVAK.
Retardé S
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 1022 times
Received rep: 1002 times

Post #163 by Retardé S » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:03 pm

I take the blame on this one. I think I set the dog off.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #164 by Dog » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:04 pm

apology accepted, retarder.
Macbeth
Registered Broad

Post #165 by Macbeth » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:11 pm

Dog wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:When I refer to the broads irl I always put emphasis on how I’m friends with great lawyers, famous filmmakers and music producers

My neighbors have been patiently waiting, for the better part of the last decade, for my movie that my internet friend is going to make.

In theatres in 2020 !

We might as well say it's coming out tomorrow. :D

The shooting has been postponed until march 2019 due to scheduling conflicts !

IT'S SERIOUS BUSINESS
Retardé S
Registered Broad

Post #166 by Retardé S » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:26 am

Dog wrote:apology accepted, retarder.

That's fucked up.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 41 times
Received rep: 420 times

Post #167 by Craig » Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:50 am

Dog wrote:If you want to be super precise and describe each particle’s time relative to another, you can by comparing their relative mass and velocity. That’s as precise as you’ll be.

If that's the case, why is gravity relevant? If it is simply the mass of the particle that matters I'm on board, but that has lots of interesting consequences for things made up of multiple particles.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #168 by Dog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:58 am

Craig wrote:

If that's the case, why is gravity relevant? If it is simply the mass of the particle that matters I'm on board, but that has lots of interesting consequences for things made up of multiple particles.

Gravitational forces add up. Each particle will feel the total of the gravitational forces acting upon it. It will be different for each, but incredibly similar for all near each other. Think of spacetime (which is the gravitational field) as a big flat rubber sheet. Adding a little marble (proxy for a massive particle). It dents the sheet. Roll another marble passed it (which also carries its dent). When the two « dents » come near each other, they may (depending on relative velocities) collapse into one larger dent with the two marbles in it. Add a billion marbles. The dent becomes very big. You can approximate the gravitational force felt by the billion marbles as a whole (as a system, an object) and that will be good enough for most purposes. However, if you want to be super precise, you can drill down and measure the exact gravitational force felt by each particle, which may slightly deviate from its neighbor or it 500,000th neighbor, depending on their relative arrangement to each other. Large enough objects (we’re talking planetary/natural satellite size) will tend to work themselves into spherical form under the mutual gravitational pull of its constituent particles. But even then, the gravitational pull will differ for particles depending on which level of the sphere they are.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #169 by Dog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:18 am

To a add a wrench, this is the ´classical’ general relativity account of gravity (which, again, is oscillations in the spacetime field as it interracts with mass). Dents in spacetime warp space and warp time. The two are facets of the same thing, coordinate descriptions of events and, for two or more ecents, a description of their relative change.

Now, they know general relativity is incomplete. It’s not wrong. It’s a very good approximation, but it lacks a more fundamental explanation and that is seen as it breaks down in certain situations (like black hole singularity). Same as newtonian gravity was a good approximation for most of what we see but lacked a more fundamental understanding (and it showed by minute miscalculations in certain orbits, such as mercury’s).

What’s missing to general relativity is the quantum description of gravity. Like I said yesterday, they haven’t found direct observational evidence of the gravitron (likely because it’s too weak and you’d need much large particle accelerators than what they have), but more fundamentally the mathematical descriptions of quantum gravity that they have break down in extreme situations such as black hole (for reasons I don’t understand, I don’t do postgrad level physics, I just take their word for it). They have models that could work, one of the most promising is quantum loop theory, but like string theory lack observational/experimental evidence.

The point is, at the quantum level, time and space would also come in discrete packets (like the other fields). These discrete packets would also be in a state of superposition until the wavefunction collapses on interraction. Same as all other quantum fields. What this would mean is that time and space, prior to interracting with other particles, would be in quantum flux, with every possible time and space simultaneously existing (for real, not a math trick) and distributed as a collection of probabilities as to how it might materialize on interraction. In this, time and space would be no more fundamental than any other particle. It, like all else, exists as a matter of probability in a quantum superposition state and only « collapses » into a particle in a given time and location upon interraction with other particles.

No quantim gravity model is yet « proven » experimentally. So, the most advanced understanding of gravity and the spacetime field we have remains general relativity, which however we know if incomplete. So, moral of the story, lobby your governments to fund much more powerful particle accelerators.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #170 by Dog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:24 am

Seriously, if you guys get into this, it’s incredibly interesting. Much weirder and less intuitive than almost any work of fiction, yet it’s the real world. Fascinating.
Mufasa
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 510 times
Received rep: 880 times

Post #171 by Mufasa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:39 am

You are aware that it's not reality for realsy right? It's like when the scouts say draft Brolieu he's the best. They did actually collected the info and did their job, then at the draft, after they called his name, they realize his mom has a shiner on her left eye.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #172 by Dog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:02 am

Mufasa wrote:You are aware that it's not reality for realsy right? It's like when the scouts say draft Brolieu he's the best. They did actually collected the info and did their job, then at the draft, after they called his name, they realize his mom has a shiner on her left eye.

There absolutely can be more fundamental descriptions. Doesn’t mean that what they now know will be wrong. It will turn out to be a higher level approximation, like newtonian physics was. Newtonian physics isn’t wrong. It correctly describes most everything we can observe from earth, heck we still use it all the time as you don’t want to start every calculation from quantum (ie, now, if I want to move this box, how much force must I apply, let’s see lemme run Schrodinger equations for trillion of particles...). It just had some rounding errors which lead to finding a more fundamental explnation (quantum mechanics and general relativity. General relativity also likely has a more fundamental quantum explanation. And quantum explanations may turn out themselves to be higher level approximations with more fundamental rules beneath it. Absolutely possible. Heck, even probable. Still, quantum mechanics would be an extraordinarily good approximation for all (or nearly all) phenomena in the universe.

More philosophically, if you want to dig for better understanding, this is how you do it. Observation/experiment+reason. It’s a beautiful human endeavour.

How else would you propose we gain knowledge about our world?
Mufasa
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 510 times
Received rep: 880 times

Post #173 by Mufasa » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:13 am

Modern science is really the poison that will kill us all, but their methods of investigations are the best and their conclusions are rock solid. Don't forget all those white dudes go through a tunnel vision all their life and have preconceived ideas that they want to push through.

Richard Dawkins and Neil Degrass Tyson are among the worst dicks the world has ever seen. What about that pos Hawkins, they even made a movie about how much of a dick he was.
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #174 by Dog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:46 am

Mufasa wrote:Modern science is really the poison that will kill us all, but their methods of investigations are the best and their conclusions are rock solid. Don't forget all those white dudes go through a tunnel vision all their life and have preconceived ideas that they want to push through.

Richard Dawkins and Neil Degrass Tyson are among the worst dicks the world has ever seen. What about that pos Hawkins, they even made a movie about how much of a dick he was.

There is some evidence that « paradigm shifts », in natural sciences and humanities tend to be generally adopted when old mens die and are gradually replaced by new mens. Scientists are human. The public attention whores are probably more likely to be of the massive ego types. That why you have to read wide and keep an open mind, but consensuses do shift and fundamentally you want it to be because of new evidence. Science is that at its base -with human emotions « interfering ».

Ultimately, this is a debate about methodology. What methodology is best for gaining knowledge about the world? I think it’s reason + observation and experiment.

When done well (for an open and honest observer), it should be very «  bayesian logic«  in its mechanics. You have a prior belief (based on past evidence) to which you will ascribe a weight based on strenght of evidence for it. You update your belief as the prior encounters new evidence (it can either strenghten or weaken the prior). Humans aren’t perfectly rational robots and that’s fine, but when analysing something I think using reason to infer rules (regularities) based on observation and experiment is the best way to go.

That’s all it is. A methodology. Arguments such as « oh, it’s just a guess like anything else » kinda miss the point. Yes, it is a guess. You will never get certainty (your bayesian prior will never be 100% as you can always imagine an alternative explanation, no matter how far fetched), but you can get strong probability (the stronger the evidence, the stronger the belief).
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #175 by Dog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:33 am

Mu, if you doubt space and time dilation, know that your phone takes it into account daily and if it did not its satellite based gps and clock would not work. Because the satellite feels less gravity than you and travels faster in space, it consumes less time (but more space). If you don’t correct the readings from the satellite to account for the fact that from its point of view the earth is physically bigger and its clocks run slower, it would give you wrong gps coordinates and wrong time. Because the satelite’s view of the earth’s size and time is different than the earth’s view of its own space and time. You have to change the numbers the satelite reads (that’s the satelite’s reality) to adapt it to the numbers that would apply to an observer on earth.

This is daily. In your phone. Confirmation of space and time dilation.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #176 by Slick Nick » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:36 am

G-d works in mysterious ways
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #177 by Dog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:38 am

Slick Nick wrote:G-d works in mysterious ways

I’d like to get to a quantum theory of God. What is it, how does it work. How did it come into existence.
Twitter bArt
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 271 times
Received rep: 440 times

Post #178 by Twitter bArt » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:40 am

Lars Eller is trying to figure out what the hell is going on
:mkbét::lr: :lr:

OOOH yeah life goes on, long after the thrill of Vinny is gone

It's too bad all the people that could really run the Habs are busy doing talk radio, writing blogs or posting on message boards.

Now, Lajoie is an imbecile, a cretin and a plagiarist, who to use author Dany Laferrière's deliciously withering expression, "lives beyond his intellectual means."

...as serious as a poutine shortage in Chicoutimi during a curling bonspiel...

Haddock wrote:I wouldn't know anything about that. I gave my soul up when I swore allegiance to the goddamn queen.

:lr: :lr: :lr:
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #179 by Dog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:52 am

Dog wrote:

I’d like to get to a quantum theory of God. What is it, how does it work. How did it come into existence.

God is a cop-out explanation. The real question is whether there is a « first cause » and what that could be. It could be some eternal mind. It could be some natural event (such as probability being the natural default state). Fundamentally our universe exists because movement/change in state. Mass is conserved energy very akin to potential energy. Energy is movement -change. Change implies change in spatial but also temporal coordinates. Absent temporal coordinates, you have everything happening at once (which seems to be the state particles are in when in quantum flux prior to decoherence). When you get mass, you get an interraction with the gravitational field, you ´cling on to it and drag it with you’. That slows down your spatial consumption and something new appears, you get a correlated increase in temporal comsumption. Spatial coordinates become discrete from one another because you now have a 4th dimension (time) that allows them to spread out.

What produces this « movement » (all energy in the universe is there since the big bang)? I don’t know and neither does anybody else. If you want to plug in « God », that’s fine. He’d be outside our universe and set it in motion at the big bang. That just pushes the question to « what’s this outside our universe ». Any physical laws there? How does it work. We can’t get there and hence would know nothing about it. So, either we exist as a brute fact of nature (probability being fundamental rather than ‘nothing’) or there is some eternal mind that works outside our universe under completely different laws. We don’t need the mind to explain anything in our universe. It arises as pure speculation because of our instinctual tendency to look for an agent as a cause and that’s an evolutionary defense mechanism that has so far proven wrong for everything in the universe (there is no agent behind cause, at least up to the big bang -even if our intuition likes to ascribe one).
Twitter bArt
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 271 times
Received rep: 440 times

Post #180 by Twitter bArt » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:16 am

I'll just go on record here and state that Fids would have been beat up a lot back in the day
:mkbét::lr: :lr:

OOOH yeah life goes on, long after the thrill of Vinny is gone

It's too bad all the people that could really run the Habs are busy doing talk radio, writing blogs or posting on message boards.

Now, Lajoie is an imbecile, a cretin and a plagiarist, who to use author Dany Laferrière's deliciously withering expression, "lives beyond his intellectual means."

...as serious as a poutine shortage in Chicoutimi during a curling bonspiel...

Haddock wrote:I wouldn't know anything about that. I gave my soul up when I swore allegiance to the goddamn queen.

:lr: :lr: :lr:
Dog
Registered Broad

Post #181 by Dog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:19 am

Twitter bArt wrote:I'll just go on record here and state that Fids would have been beat up a lot back in the day

Blame Retarder for this, not me.
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #182 by Slick Nick » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:30 pm

Dog wrote:

I think you might just be the man who solves it all
Retardé S
Registered Broad

Post #183 by Retardé S » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:35 pm

Dog wrote:
Twitter bArt wrote:I'll just go on record here and state that Fids would have been beat up a lot back in the day

Blame Retarder for this, not me.

Dog
Registered Broad

Post #184 by Dog » Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:25 pm

Slick Nick wrote:
Dog wrote:

Isn’t the answer 42?
Slick Nick
Registered Broad

Post #185 by Slick Nick » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:07 am

Dog wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:
Dog wrote:

Isn’t the answer 42?

Why would it be 42?
TittiesNBeer
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 560 times
Received rep: 318 times

Post #186 by TittiesNBeer » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:11 am

Slick Nick wrote:
Dog wrote:
Slick Nick wrote:

Isn’t the answer 42?

Why would it be 42?

Someone never read the Hitchhiker's Guide
mcphee
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 170 times
Received rep: 426 times

Post #187 by mcphee » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:12 am

While Douglas C Adams was fine, 42 is Jackie.

Return to “The Beautiful Mens and the Whore From Smolensk”