Raspberry Pi

We're probably smart enough for a science and technology forum
User avatar
Craig
Registered Broad
Posts: 39056
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Toronto
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 344 times

Post #1 by Craig » Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:28 pm

vonbonds wrote:Android shmandroid. I'm an ex-*NIX admin. I need to regular expression and VI back in my life and Linux provides that.


Android is *NIX. You can run a vi port on it if you want.
User avatar
Craig
Registered Broad
Posts: 39056
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Toronto
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 344 times

Post #2 by Craig » Mon Nov 10, 2014 4:13 pm

Craig wrote:Android is *NIX. You can run a vi port on it if you want.


Just to be clear,I don't think it's really a *NIX OS like Redhat or whatever, but it is built off a Linux kernel. Just how much it has in common I don't really know.
User avatar
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Posts: 40009
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 1:45 pm
Has given rep: 270 times
Received rep: 451 times

Post #3 by clawfirst » Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:16 pm

Wouldn't it be so much cheaper to just keep a plastic bag full of external USB stick backups in the pool house or in a Tupperware container in the garden?
User avatar
Craig
Registered Broad
Posts: 39056
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Toronto
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 344 times

Post #4 by Craig » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:16 pm

clawfirst wrote:Wouldn't it be so much cheaper to just keep a plastic bag full of external USB stick backups in the pool house or in a Tupperware container in the garden?


A Pi is like 20 bucks. a 3TB drive is like 120. The whole thing will cost him like 300. 3 TB of flash drives, assuming 35 bucks for a 64 gig drive, would be 1680 bucks.
User avatar
Craig
Registered Broad
Posts: 39056
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Toronto
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 344 times

Post #5 by Craig » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:17 pm

You know, plus the price of the Tupperware.
User avatar
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Posts: 40009
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 1:45 pm
Has given rep: 270 times
Received rep: 451 times

Post #6 by clawfirst » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:21 pm

I thought you could get 1tb flash stick s for like 20$ now
User avatar
Craig
Registered Broad
Posts: 39056
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Toronto
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 344 times

Post #7 by Craig » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Can you? That seems really cheap.
User avatar
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Posts: 40009
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 1:45 pm
Has given rep: 270 times
Received rep: 451 times

Post #8 by clawfirst » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Found them online for 19.99-26.50 just now. seems like an option
User avatar
Craig
Registered Broad
Posts: 39056
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Toronto
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 344 times

Post #9 by Craig » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:31 pm

Really? Gimme the link.
User avatar
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Posts: 40009
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 1:45 pm
Has given rep: 270 times
Received rep: 451 times

Post #10 by clawfirst » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:37 pm

User avatar
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Posts: 40009
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 1:45 pm
Has given rep: 270 times
Received rep: 451 times

Post #11 by clawfirst » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:39 pm

I only thought of it as an option cause I remember 3 years ago a friend bought like 4 of em on boxing day for 20 or 30 a piece
User avatar
NHL33
Posts: 3083
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:11 pm
Received rep: 1 time

Post #12 by NHL33 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:45 pm

Pffft. USB 2.0.
User avatar
Craig
Registered Broad
Posts: 39056
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Toronto
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 344 times

Post #13 by Craig » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:47 pm

Geez, I looked one up on the Future Shop website and they wanted like 900 bucks.
User avatar
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Posts: 40009
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 1:45 pm
Has given rep: 270 times
Received rep: 451 times

Post #14 by clawfirst » Mon Nov 10, 2014 8:21 pm

yeah I had to look around a bit and I'm sure the quality is garbage but they can be found anywhere from 15.00 to 1600
User avatar
T.O
Registered Broad
Posts: 1259
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

Post #15 by T.O » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:52 am

No need to compromise: Mini-itx board (zotac) with the large waterproof box.
User avatar
T.O
Registered Broad
Posts: 1259
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

Post #16 by T.O » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:58 am

Speaking of solar panels, anyone have a cheap source.?

EDIT: Thx One
User avatar
T.O
Registered Broad
Posts: 1259
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

Post #17 by T.O » Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:03 am

onefatsurfer wrote:My uncle who works for a utility company got me a single small panel to fuck around with. I'm going to hook it up to my sump pump when I have time again in the spring


Not a bad idea. I have two of them.
User avatar
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Posts: 40009
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 1:45 pm
Has given rep: 270 times
Received rep: 451 times

Post #18 by clawfirst » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:23 pm

I would want a generator as back up.

Fuck this solar power garbage . that sub pump fails and you have an indoor swimming pool a a shit load of expensive problems.
User avatar
Craig
Registered Broad
Posts: 39056
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Toronto
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 344 times

Post #19 by Craig » Wed Nov 12, 2014 2:41 pm

Or you could just do what I do and not have a sump pump.

Although I'm pretty sure my neighbours through the wall installed one, so I figure that has me covered.
User avatar
T.O
Registered Broad
Posts: 1259
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

Post #20 by T.O » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:50 pm

onefatsurfer wrote:It's already on a battery backup. I just want to use a solar panel to charge the battery


Same here.
User avatar
T.O
Registered Broad
Posts: 1259
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

Post #21 by T.O » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:51 pm

Craig wrote:Or you could just do what I do and not have a sump pump.

Although I'm pretty sure my neighbours through the wall installed one, so I figure that has me covered.


Sumps are a necessity, not a choice. High water table.
User avatar
T.O
Registered Broad
Posts: 1259
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

Post #22 by T.O » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:55 pm

clawfirst wrote:I would want a generator as back up.

Fuck this solar power garbage . that sub pump fails and you have an indoor swimming pool a a shit load of expensive problems.


Dual pumps with marine battery is more then enough.

http://www.clarkebasementsystems.com/sump-pump.html

Extremely expensive but worth every penny.
User avatar
Craig
Registered Broad
Posts: 39056
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Toronto
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 344 times

Post #23 by Craig » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:59 pm

T.O wrote:Sumps are a necessity, not a choice. High water table.


The house has gone almost 100 years without one.
User avatar
Shawnathan Horcoff
Registered Broad
Posts: 37625
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:51 am
Has given rep: 461 times
Received rep: 627 times

Post #24 by Shawnathan Horcoff » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:04 pm

Waterproof computer chips mysteriously hidden in the pool house. I've lost significant touch with many of my fellow members of HockeyBroads.com. :why:
User avatar
T.O
Registered Broad
Posts: 1259
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

Post #25 by T.O » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:09 pm

Craig wrote:The house has gone almost 100 years without one.


If that's the case, I'm surprised your neighbours have one. Has to be a grading issue that could have been fixed for less than the cost of the sump.

I could randomly dig anywhere and reach water within 2-3 ft.
User avatar
T.O
Registered Broad
Posts: 1259
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

Post #26 by T.O » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:10 pm

dong perimong wrote:Waterproof computer chips mysteriously hidden in the pool house. I've lost significant touch with many of my fellow members of HockeyBroads.com. :why:


Zombie apocalypse proofing his set up.
User avatar
Craig
Registered Broad
Posts: 39056
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Toronto
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 344 times

Post #27 by Craig » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:12 pm

T.O wrote:If that's the case, I'm surprised your neighbours have one. Has to be a grading issue that could have been fixed for less than the cost of the sump.

I could randomly dig anywhere and reach water within 2-3 ft.


I gather they had some sort of problem with a gas pipe and a storm drain backing up. I'm not really privy to the details.

It probably helps that I live fairly close to the Don. I figure we get pretty good drainage into there.
User avatar
T.O
Registered Broad
Posts: 1259
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 1969 7:00 pm

Post #28 by T.O » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:14 pm

Craig wrote:I gather they had some sort of problem with a gas pipe and a storm drain backing up. I'm not really privy to the details.


Damn that's a costly nightmare.
User avatar
Craig
Registered Broad
Posts: 39056
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:33 pm
Location: Toronto
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 344 times

Post #29 by Craig » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:22 pm

All I know is the gas company put a thing in my mailbox saying they want to inspect my gas line because a neighbour had a problem with it being installed too close to the storm drain or something. I've been meaning to give them a call.
User avatar
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Posts: 40009
Joined: Sat May 10, 2008 1:45 pm
Has given rep: 270 times
Received rep: 451 times

Post #30 by clawfirst » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:31 pm

I'm almost positive your neighbours have an internal weeping system....cause they couldn't keep the water out and going around the outside costs more...especially when they uncover the rotted clay brick foundation....

and we'll never speak of this again.
User avatar
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Posts: 13273
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:47 pm
Has given rep: 1546 times
Received rep: 715 times

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post #31 by vonbonds » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:54 pm

I finally have a full time job for my Raspberry Pi 2 Model B. It's running RuneAudio acting as a music streamer to my dedicated 2 channel music room in my house. I purchased a Hifiberry digi+ DAC so I can use a digital coax cable to my preamp. It's getting FLAC music files from my Debian Plex server as I hung a pair Western Digital MyBooks off of it (4TB & 6TB drives). They're serving multiple purposes of hosting my Plex media, lossless music files as well as a backup capacity for rsync scripts.

I have to say it's pretty solid. I was going to buy a music streaming device but decided to give the RPI one last go. It's working better than I could have imagined and well worth the money. RuneAudio took almost no time to setup and since I'm a former *NIX admin the rest of the integration work took nearly zero effort. I wholeheartedly recommend Hifiberry to anyone that's into music and has an RPI or wants one.

RuneAudio - http://www.runeaudio.com/
Hifiberry - https://www.hifiberry.com/digiplus/ (I went for the more expensive one as I figured why not)
User avatar
cawbber
Registered Broad
Posts: 14869
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:58 pm
Has given rep: 208 times
Received rep: 151 times

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post #32 by cawbber » Wed Oct 05, 2016 11:43 am

vonbonds wrote:I finally have a full time job for my Raspberry Pi 2 Model B. It's running RuneAudio acting as a music streamer to my dedicated 2 channel music room in my house. I purchased a Hifiberry digi+ DAC so I can use a digital coax cable to my preamp. It's getting FLAC music files from my Debian Plex server as I hung a pair Western Digital MyBooks off of it (4TB & 6TB drives). They're serving multiple purposes of hosting my Plex media, lossless music files as well as a backup capacity for rsync scripts.

I have to say it's pretty solid. I was going to buy a music streaming device but decided to give the RPI one last go. It's working better than I could have imagined and well worth the money. RuneAudio took almost no time to setup and since I'm a former *NIX admin the rest of the integration work took nearly zero effort. I wholeheartedly recommend Hifiberry to anyone that's into music and has an RPI or wants one.

RuneAudio - http://www.runeaudio.com/
Hifiberry - https://www.hifiberry.com/digiplus/ (I went for the more expensive one as I figured why not)

i have one and run OpenElec off it for Kodi. Also really great. The only issue is that that you can't update the OS without flashing the card. Otherwise its been awesome.
User avatar
vonbonds
Registered Broad
Posts: 13273
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:47 pm
Has given rep: 1546 times
Received rep: 715 times

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post #33 by vonbonds » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:29 pm

cawbber wrote:
vonbonds wrote:I finally have a full time job for my Raspberry Pi 2 Model B. It's running RuneAudio acting as a music streamer to my dedicated 2 channel music room in my house. I purchased a Hifiberry digi+ DAC so I can use a digital coax cable to my preamp. It's getting FLAC music files from my Debian Plex server as I hung a pair Western Digital MyBooks off of it (4TB & 6TB drives). They're serving multiple purposes of hosting my Plex media, lossless music files as well as a backup capacity for rsync scripts.

I have to say it's pretty solid. I was going to buy a music streaming device but decided to give the RPI one last go. It's working better than I could have imagined and well worth the money. RuneAudio took almost no time to setup and since I'm a former *NIX admin the rest of the integration work took nearly zero effort. I wholeheartedly recommend Hifiberry to anyone that's into music and has an RPI or wants one.

RuneAudio - http://www.runeaudio.com/
Hifiberry - https://www.hifiberry.com/digiplus/ (I went for the more expensive one as I figured why not)

i have one and run OpenElec off it for Kodi. Also really great. The only issue is that that you can't update the OS without flashing the card. Otherwise its been awesome.


I'm simply streaming FLAC music files through the DAC so as long as I don't try anything new I doubt I'll ever update the OS but I hear you on flashing a new image..feels antiquated.

Which model of RPI do you have? I've thought about getting their latest model 3 for it's improved performance for me to play around with the next idea when I get one :) lol
User avatar
cawbber
Registered Broad
Posts: 14869
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:58 pm
Has given rep: 208 times
Received rep: 151 times

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post #34 by cawbber » Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:52 pm

vonbonds wrote:
cawbber wrote:
vonbonds wrote:I finally have a full time job for my Raspberry Pi 2 Model B. It's running RuneAudio acting as a music streamer to my dedicated 2 channel music room in my house. I purchased a Hifiberry digi+ DAC so I can use a digital coax cable to my preamp. It's getting FLAC music files from my Debian Plex server as I hung a pair Western Digital MyBooks off of it (4TB & 6TB drives). They're serving multiple purposes of hosting my Plex media, lossless music files as well as a backup capacity for rsync scripts.

I have to say it's pretty solid. I was going to buy a music streaming device but decided to give the RPI one last go. It's working better than I could have imagined and well worth the money. RuneAudio took almost no time to setup and since I'm a former *NIX admin the rest of the integration work took nearly zero effort. I wholeheartedly recommend Hifiberry to anyone that's into music and has an RPI or wants one.

RuneAudio - http://www.runeaudio.com/
Hifiberry - https://www.hifiberry.com/digiplus/ (I went for the more expensive one as I figured why not)

i have one and run OpenElec off it for Kodi. Also really great. The only issue is that that you can't update the OS without flashing the card. Otherwise its been awesome.


I'm simply streaming FLAC music files through the DAC so as long as I don't try anything new I doubt I'll ever update the OS but I hear you on flashing a new image..feels antiquated.

Which model of RPI do you have? I've thought about getting their latest model 3 for it's improved performance for me to play around with the next idea when I get one :) lol

I have a Rpi 2b, iirc

Return to “The Boring World of Niels Bohr”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest