Zan Tabak to Kyle Lowry: The Toronto Raptors Thread

AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 203 times
Received rep: 260 times

Re: Zan Tabak to Kyle Lowry: The Toronto Raptors Thread

Post #3601 by AGENT ZERO » Fri Jul 13, 2018 11:34 am

I know, it's more of a general reply to all of the comments I have read that make it seem like Kawhi to LA is a done deal. Kawhi is a very unique guy with a really tough background story, I really believe that if a team traded for him and made him feel like apart of a family, and worked with him that he would stay. He seems to value those things alot more than most athletes.
Balki Bartokomous
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 63 times
Received rep: 584 times

Post #3602 by Balki Bartokomous » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:04 pm

AGENT ZERO wrote:I know, it's more of a general reply to all of the comments I have read that make it seem like Kawhi to LA is a done deal. Kawhi is a very unique guy with a really tough background story, I really believe that if a team traded for him and made him feel like apart of a family, and worked with him that he would stay. He seems to value those things alot more than most athletes.

PG seemed like he was a lock to go to LA as well and a year convinced him to stay. If you have a chance to get an MVP you do it.
stoney
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 230 times
Received rep: 132 times

Post #3603 by stoney » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:22 am

AGENT ZERO wrote:I know, it's more of a general reply to all of the comments I have read that make it seem like Kawhi to LA is a done deal. Kawhi is a very unique guy with a really tough background story, I really believe that if a team traded for him and made him feel like apart of a family, and worked with him that he would stay. He seems to value those things alot more than most athletes.

I really like how the site restore left this right at the end of the thread.

Hopefully we can accomplish this
Shawnathan Horcoff
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 461 times
Received rep: 627 times

Post #3604 by Shawnathan Horcoff » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:51 am

Drake will singlehandedly drive Kawhi away.
Also, let's keep this thread about Galchenyuk's on-ice performance, development and value and NOT bring in his personal life or race.
Balki Bartokomous
Registered Broad

Post #3605 by Balki Bartokomous » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:43 pm

Fuck we had some good banter in here. Apox on the storm!
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 404 times
Received rep: 233 times

Post #3606 by vf » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:45 pm

Heard a great point today. If things don't work out with Kahwi they can still flip him at the deadline easier then moving DeRozan and kick off the rebuild.
Balki Bartokomous
Registered Broad

Post #3607 by Balki Bartokomous » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:54 pm

Yeah, I was saying that yesterday too. The whole thing is a massive win for Ujiri.

I think he'll end up staying here. He already gave up 30M by going from SA to TOR. If he leaves TOR, he gives up another FIFTY million dollars. Have you known anyone to leave 80M dollars on the table? You want a sneaker endorsement, it may give you 100M, ,but you could take a 50M sneaker endorsement up here, still get your fifty million and be at the same place. I dunno what happened in SA, because we weren't there. Only he knows, but I'm not ready to buy the whole "he won't play anywhere but LA" nonsense.
Craig
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 38 times
Received rep: 344 times

Post #3608 by Craig » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:52 pm

vf wrote:Heard a great point today. If things don't work out with Kahwi they can still flip him at the deadline easier then moving DeRozan and kick off the rebuild.

That's tough to do if you're in a playoff spot, which they probably will be even if things don't work out because the East sucks.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #3609 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Jul 19, 2018 3:55 pm

Maybe it's my pro Toronto bias speaking, but I have always believed that Toronto can attract any athlete in the 3 major pro sports if given the chance. One year in this city is that chance.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 26 times
Received rep: 235 times

Post #3610 by mooseOAK » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:07 pm

Plenty of athletes have Toronto on their no way in hell list.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #3611 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:20 pm

mooseOAK wrote:Plenty of athletes have Toronto on their no way in hell list.

And many have come here and ended up staying. There are alot of negative perceptions about this city that are not based in reality.
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 96 times
Received rep: 277 times

Post #3612 by Dr_Chimera » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:31 pm

Kawhi trade was good y'all.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad

Post #3613 by mooseOAK » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:06 pm

AGENT ZERO wrote:

And many have come here and ended up staying. There are alot of negative perceptions about this city that are not based in reality.

It’s not the city. It’s a different country plus the traveling through customs is a pain.
Balki Bartokomous
Registered Broad

Post #3614 by Balki Bartokomous » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:46 pm

lol, traveling through customs is NOT a pain. I have Nexus and it's idiotically easy, nor am I a pro athlete. They have customs officers visit them before they even board the team bus to get to the airport.
Vector
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 56 times
Received rep: 36 times

Post #3615 by Vector » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:38 pm

The problem is the higher taxes. Texas and Florida are considered excellent locations because of the low taxes on their income. Factor in ignorance of Canada, perceptions of the weather (Toronto is too snowy, Vancouver is too rainy, etc.), and visa issues for certain players; then you start seeing why Toronto isn't the most desirable.

It's why DeMar was special. He was a good to great player depending on the year and whether it was the playoffs or regular season that absolutely embraced Toronto and being the face of the team. Lowry too.

For Kawhi, he's from LA and seems to want to play there. That's all we know. There's also a conflicting reports that he wants to be the face of a franchise. I think there's a less than zero chance he stays. Even if he leaves after a season, it was a great trade. I'm going into next season excited to watch every game instead of casually turning on when I remember.
Balki Bartokomous
Registered Broad

Post #3616 by Balki Bartokomous » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:19 pm

We had to go into a rebuild and I'd rather end on a Kawhi note.
vf
Registered Broad

Post #3617 by vf » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:23 am

I think the taxes thing is overblown. There's a ton of loopholes.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 495 times
Received rep: 370 times

Post #3618 by Curry Rage » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:42 am

vf wrote:I think the taxes thing is overblown. There's a ton of loopholes.

Not like these guys can't afford to hire professional tax evad...err...avoid...err...planners. Tax planners.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 680 times
Received rep: 268 times

Post #3619 by paulster » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:17 am

Customs? Nope. I have nexus and it’s makes it trivial. Wife doesn’t and guess what - they’ve got these new machines at Pearson that makes it just as trivial for every pleb on earth. Pro athletes get special treatment as stated above - customs and immigration is nothing for the rich.

Taxes? Nope. If they are such a huge deal why have we never heard a pro athlete - active or retired - mention this? Or have we?

It’s the wives/girlfriends. They’re the ones who have a lot of pull. That, and the fact that these athletes aren’t exactly known for their intellectual prowess. Talk to the average American when travelling abroad and you’re lucky if they even know where toronto is, let alone that it isn’t a frozen wasteland 12 months per year.

Ultimately though, 99% of the time it seems it’s all about the money.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad

Post #3620 by mooseOAK » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:33 am

Balki Bartokomous wrote:lol, traveling through customs is NOT a pain. I have Nexus and it's idiotically easy, nor am I a pro athlete. They have customs officers visit them before they even board the team bus to get to the airport.

Okay, tell that to all of the NBA players with Toronto on their no trade list.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #3621 by Craig » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:02 am

Arguing that there are more loopholes up here than down in the US is an interesting approach.
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 680 times
Received rep: 268 times

Post #3622 by paulster » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:29 am

mooseOAK wrote:
Balki Bartokomous wrote:lol, traveling through customs is NOT a pain. I have Nexus and it's idiotically easy, nor am I a pro athlete. They have customs officers visit them before they even board the team bus to get to the airport.

It's all about the money man. Specifically, the fact we use "monopoly" money. They just can't handle it.

Warning - blog post:
Was just in Jamaica a couple weeks ago surrounded by Texans and other 'muricans. We're at some 'bar' in an alley on a bus bar crawl thing, and I'm fumbling around for US$ trying to focus my eyes enough to read the numbers on the bills. "Goddamn it these all look the same!" I lamented.
"Oh, you're used to your MONOPOLY MONEY aren't you, Canada?" retorted one of my new American friends (it was July 4 and I was wearing a shirt that said "Canada" on it so the locals would know we were cooler than the surrounding yankees, so that became my name).
So came my clever retort-from-the-north: "Well, you know when you're playing Monopoly, and you can instantly tell how much money you have? So yes, I AM used to our superior method that also has been adopted by literally every single other country!" (or something like that, I was kind of drunk but that's what it sounded like in my head)

It was a sick burn, at least I thought so. Good thing they didn't get me started on the metric system.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #3623 by AGENT ZERO » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:29 am

mooseOAK wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:

It’s not the city. It’s a different country plus the traveling through customs is a pain.

What df said.
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #3624 by Craig » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:31 am

Remember when Antonio Davis left because he didn't want his kids to go to Canadian schools and learn the metric system?
Craig
Registered Broad

Post #3625 by Craig » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:39 am

Can someone explain the Anthony/Schroeder trade to me? It seems like a whole bunch of garbage changed hands and somehow the Thunder got a legitimate starting point guard and somehow got someone else to buy out Anthony for them.
Balki Bartokomous
Registered Broad

Post #3626 by Balki Bartokomous » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:43 am

mooseOAK wrote:

Hot tip.........as of last year, only three players had no-trade clauses. Melo, LeBron and Dirk. It's not a thing in the NBA that is handed out, nor do players particularly care to have one. They'd prefer not to be dealt there because they don't really know anything about it. Most of them when they come here fall in love.

I have no doubt that Kawhi is going to love it. Just cause he loves it though, doesn't mean he's gonna sign here, however.
Balki Bartokomous
Registered Broad

Post #3627 by Balki Bartokomous » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:44 am

paulster wrote:Customs? Nope. I have nexus and it’s makes it trivial. Wife doesn’t and guess what - they’ve got these new machines at Pearson that makes it just as trivial for every pleb on earth. Pro athletes get special treatment as stated above - customs and immigration is nothing for the rich.

Taxes? Nope. If they are such a huge deal why have we never heard a pro athlete - active or retired - mention this? Or have we?

It’s the wives/girlfriends. They’re the ones who have a lot of pull. That, and the fact that these athletes aren’t exactly known for their intellectual prowess. Talk to the average American when travelling abroad and you’re lucky if they even know where toronto is, let alone that it isn’t a frozen wasteland 12 months per year.

Ultimately though, 99% of the time it seems it’s all about the money.

All salaries are paid in USD, they don't lose money to come here. So much of it is overblown. Like Masai said last year. Some superstar is going to figure Toronto out. Lets hope it's Kawhi.
Balki Bartokomous
Registered Broad

Post #3628 by Balki Bartokomous » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:53 am

vf
Registered Broad

Post #3629 by vf » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:57 am

Craig wrote:Arguing that there are more loopholes up here than down in the US is an interesting approach.

I don't think it matters who has more. There's so many that a half decent money man can hide it all anyways. A lot of states make you pay income in their state by the game or day so the tax difference instantly becomes halved and then the Bean counters get to work.
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #3630 by Vector » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:29 pm

Craig wrote:Can someone explain the Anthony/Schroeder trade to me? It seems like a whole bunch of garbage changed hands and somehow the Thunder got a legitimate starting point guard and somehow got someone else to buy out Anthony for them.

Hawks started to hate Schroeder and would rather have the dead money and draft pick on there roster than him. He’s a headache and extremely inconsistent.
Vector
Registered Broad

Post #3631 by Vector » Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:31 pm

vf wrote:I think the taxes thing is overblown. There's a ton of loopholes.

Agreed but it’s all a perception problem. It’s always going to be there since most Americans don’t even think about Canada and assume Toronto is some tiny garbage city.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 469 times
Received rep: 481 times

Post #3632 by LeafOfBread » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:https://www.tsn.ca/nba/video/barkley-kawhi-will-realize-quickly-toronto-is-one-of-five-best-cities-in-the-world~1443145

Barkley always supports Toronto. Enjoys watching hockey too, to the point where he even openly says on air that NHL playoffs are better. Love that guy
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad

Post #3633 by Dr_Chimera » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:46 pm

What a pussy.

Balki Bartokomous
Registered Broad

Post #3634 by Balki Bartokomous » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:45 pm

Welcome, baby!
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #3635 by LeafOfBread » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:51 pm

Balki Bartokomous wrote:Image

Welcome, baby!

One of the few times I've actually seen Kawhi smile
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #3636 by LeafOfBread » Fri Jul 20, 2018 8:52 pm

Dr_Chimera wrote:What a pussy.

Come on now, no need to hate on the man who loved it here
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad

Post #3637 by Dr_Chimera » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:25 pm

He's just not a stone-faced killer. And that's what you need in this league.
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad

Post #3638 by Dr_Chimera » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:28 am

Great news. Chuck likes us again.

Vector
Registered Broad

Post #3639 by Vector » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:27 am

That was literally posted and discussed earlier today. I do appreciate you never giving a shit, though. Never start. :)
Dr_Chimera
Registered Broad

Post #3640 by Dr_Chimera » Sat Jul 21, 2018 2:02 am

Vector wrote:That was literally posted and discussed earlier today. I do appreciate you never giving a shit, though. Never start. :)

Oh well. It's a better link than the tsn one at least.

I think I was actually upset a bit at the prospect of Chuck jumping the Raptors ship.
PPJ
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 79 times
Received rep: 121 times

Post #3641 by PPJ » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:24 pm

LeafOfBread wrote:
Balki Bartokomous wrote:Image

Welcome, baby!

One of the few times I've actually seen Kawhi smile

If that’s his smile, can’t wait to see his scowl.
Balki Bartokomous
Registered Broad

Post #3642 by Balki Bartokomous » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:10 pm

He'll always be my guy
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 300 times
Received rep: 155 times

Post #3643 by mayoradamwest » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:14 pm

We once stared awkwardly at each other as he left an elevator and I got in... There's nothing worse than eye contact in those situations
Balki Bartokomous
Registered Broad

Post #3644 by Balki Bartokomous » Sun Jul 22, 2018 12:01 am

mayoradamwest wrote:We once stared awkwardly at each other as he left an elevator and I got in... There's nothing worse than eye contact in those situations

Oh my God! That's the coolest fucking story I've ever heard in my life! That's insane! Can you tell it again, do you have time?
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 300 times
Received rep: 155 times

Post #3645 by mayoradamwest » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:06 am

Yes, though not at the moment.
Balki Bartokomous
Registered Broad