The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

mooseOAK
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 36 times
Received rep: 304 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1001 by mooseOAK » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:43 pm

Carolina is one point out of a playoff spot, why trade a defenceman?
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 195 times
Received rep: 505 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1002 by Thomas Malthus » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:58 pm

mooseOAK wrote:Carolina is one point out of a playoff spot, why trade a defenceman?

That’s a fair point.

I have to imagine they will need to promise Fox a spot next season and their right side already has two outstanding defenders, one very good defender, and one solid defender. Even TvR would be an upgrade on Zaitsev.

So, maybe they hold off until after the season since that’s when the Fox issue really arrives. But if they want to move on from Faulk, and he’s the one that rumours suggest the Canes are most interested in moving, they would be better to move him now where he has two playoff runs left. Plus, they could use help up front. Why not deal from that surplus to get your forward(s)?
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
"[...]all models are wrong, some are useful." - George E. P. Box
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 272 times
Received rep: 302 times

Post #1003 by AGENT ZERO » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:12 am

mooseOAK wrote:Carolina is one point out of a playoff spot, why trade a defenceman?

Because they can't score. They aren't looking to make a futures swap, they are looking to add to the offense.
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 446 times
Received rep: 458 times

Post #1004 by Philthy Thrillz » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:32 am

How much cap space will the Leafs have at the tdd, assuming no other deals are made? And how much of the players cap % is left at tdd?

Basically the leafs have x in cap they can add said player with y cap hit.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad

Post #1005 by mooseOAK » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:55 am

AGENT ZERO wrote:

Because they can't score. They aren't looking to make a futures swap, they are looking to add to the offense.

Incorrect, Carolina might be the highest scoring team in the league since the new year.

Everyone may have thought that Carolina was giving up on the season which looked like it may be the case but is not the situation now.
Dynrehab
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 106 times
Received rep: 228 times

Post #1006 by Dynrehab » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:11 pm

Philthy Thrillz wrote:How much cap space will the Leafs have at the tdd, assuming no other deals are made? And how much of the players cap % is left at tdd?

Basically the leafs have x in cap they can add said player with y cap hit.

Technically they have $4.32 million in cap space, with $14 million they can add today and $20 million on trade deadline day. That is without using Horton’s LTIR which would add another $5 million they could spend.

Unfortunately, i think they are pretty much tapped out if they want to ensure there is no bonus carryover next year.
Philthy Thrillz
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 446 times
Received rep: 458 times

Post #1007 by Philthy Thrillz » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:20 pm

So the bonus eats up the 4 mill basically making cap space nill at tdd.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #1008 by AGENT ZERO » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:37 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:Yeah, they have Hamilton, Faulk, Pesce, TvR, think Fox is ready. And I can’t imagine that Johnsson is enough to bring back Pesce AND convince the Canes the take Zaitsev. Even though we’re weaker on the left side I’d much rather move Johnsson than Kapanen for D help. I’m not convinced that grabbing a guy like Pesce at the expense of Kapanen or Johnsson + would be better than not losing those guys and grabbing Weegar or Jensen to replace Zaitsev. Maybe even a riskier guy like Honka or Andersson.

I do think that some teams value Zaitsev. Babcock seems to like him and there are plenty of other coaches who love guys like Russell. Having said that, if we need to move Zaitsev and other teams know that, they likely won’t be willing to do us any favours.

Another strategy for dealing with Marceau could be trading him to Arizona or somewhere that needs to hit the floor and having them retain some of his cap hit and trade him back to us. Unless I’m misremembering some bits of the CBA rules.

Arizona cannot retain salary and trade Marleau back to us, but the Leafs can pay his bonus, trade him to a team that buys him out and then retain him at a reduced cap hit.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #1009 by AGENT ZERO » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:41 pm

mooseOAK wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:

Incorrect, Carolina might be the highest scoring team in the league since the new year.

Everyone may have thought that Carolina was giving up on the season which looked like it may be the case but is not the situation now.

And over the season they are 15th in goals for. If it really took them scoring the most goals since the new year to get to 15th than they should rightly be concerned about offense...
Dynrehab
Registered Broad

Post #1010 by Dynrehab » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:46 pm

Philthy Thrillz wrote:So the bonus eats up the 4 mill basically making cap space nill at tdd.

Yes.
Dynrehab
Registered Broad

Post #1011 by Dynrehab » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:48 pm

AGENT ZERO wrote:
Thomas Malthus wrote:Yeah, they have Hamilton, Faulk, Pesce, TvR, think Fox is ready. And I can’t imagine that Johnsson is enough to bring back Pesce AND convince the Canes the take Zaitsev. Even though we’re weaker on the left side I’d much rather move Johnsson than Kapanen for D help. I’m not convinced that grabbing a guy like Pesce at the expense of Kapanen or Johnsson + would be better than not losing those guys and grabbing Weegar or Jensen to replace Zaitsev. Maybe even a riskier guy like Honka or Andersson.

I do think that some teams value Zaitsev. Babcock seems to like him and there are plenty of other coaches who love guys like Russell. Having said that, if we need to move Zaitsev and other teams know that, they likely won’t be willing to do us any favours.

Another strategy for dealing with Marceau could be trading him to Arizona or somewhere that needs to hit the floor and having them retain some of his cap hit and trade him back to us. Unless I’m misremembering some bits of the CBA rules.

Arizona cannot retain salary and trade Marleau back to us, but the Leafs can pay his bonus, trade him to a team that buys him out and then retain him at a reduced cap hit.

The buyout period is before his bonus is paid. Can’t do that either.
Dynrehab
Registered Broad

Post #1012 by Dynrehab » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:53 pm

Marleau options:

Suck it up, pay his cap hit and play him.

Robidas island

Pay bonus, trade him for nothing and he retires giving that team $6 cap hit for no dollars.

Pay bonus and trade him, and he plays for new team for $1.5 million.

Pay bonus, trade him, he agrees to mutual termination of contract, returns to Leafs. Other team holds his cap hit but there is a risk of circumvention charges.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #1013 by AGENT ZERO » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:09 pm

Dynrehab wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:

How did Washington do it with Orpik. I was under the impression that he had a bonus payment as well.
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 544 times
Received rep: 306 times

Post #1014 by vf » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:42 pm

AGENT ZERO wrote:
Dynrehab wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:

How did Washington do it with Orpik. I was under the impression that he had a bonus payment as well.

Colorado ate the remainder of the deal. I haven't seen anything against retaining salary and flipping the player back to his original club though.
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 796 times
Received rep: 368 times

Post #1015 by paulster » Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:23 pm

I assume Marleau will need to retire as a Shark, no? What is San Jose's cap sitch?
Dynrehab
Registered Broad

Post #1016 by Dynrehab » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:18 pm

vf wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:
Dynrehab wrote:

Colorado ate the remainder of the deal. I haven't seen anything against retaining salary and flipping the player back to his original club though.

There may not be specific rules, but if these things are predetermined, the league can deny it. Lecavalier to Toronto several years ago was vetoed and that was a compliance buyout.
Dynrehab
Registered Broad

Post #1017 by Dynrehab » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:18 pm

paulster wrote:I assume Marleau will need to retire as a Shark, no? What is San Jose's cap sitch?

Tight, especially if they re-sign Karlson.
clawfirst
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 317 times
Received rep: 521 times

Post #1018 by clawfirst » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:24 pm

Dynrehab wrote:
vf wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:

There may not be specific rules, but if these things are predetermined, the league can deny it. Lecavalier to Toronto several years ago was vetoed and that was a compliance buyout.

I havent read the last cba but the one before it literally had a "gary says no clause". To deal with obvious and stupid types of circumvention not actually covered.
vf
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 544 times
Received rep: 306 times

Post #1019 by vf » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:29 pm

Dynrehab wrote:
vf wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:

The difference being the compliance buyout made the cap hit disappear. Leafs trading Marleau with assets to Arizona and then trading him back at half the cap hit doesn't make any cap hit disappear. I have no idea how Bettman and Co would feel about this type of move.
Dynrehab
Registered Broad

Post #1020 by Dynrehab » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:16 am

vf wrote:
Dynrehab wrote:
vf wrote:

The difference being the compliance buyout made the cap hit disappear. Leafs trading Marleau with assets to Arizona and then trading him back at half the cap hit doesn't make any cap hit disappear. I have no idea how Bettman and Co would feel about this type of move.

No, I get it. But I was just pointing out, it wasn’t against the rules, but the NHL stepped in to say no. And I think they’d do the same here.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 599 times
Received rep: 457 times

Post #1021 by Curry Rage » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:48 pm

Hmm.

*Buy Oil Stocks!*
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #1022 by AGENT ZERO » Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:36 pm

That doesn't pass the smell test, I think anytime you look at corsi more context is needed.
mooseOAK
Registered Broad

Post #1023 by mooseOAK » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:07 am

The Sharks obviously have this Corsi thing figured out.
paulster
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 796 times
Received rep: 368 times

Post #1024 by paulster » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:08 am

Someone give Brett Kulak more ice time!!
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #1025 by Thomas Malthus » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:36 pm

Dellow has a piece over at the Athletic where he takes a look at an area where the Leafs are really bad—defensive zone faceoffs.

We’re horrifically bad after losses and still pretty bad after wins. Actually, we’re really good after wins on the left side but really, really bad after wins on the right side.

He’s mainly just pointing out that this is an issue and doesn’t really offer much in the line of solutions, though he does note that it seems the Leafs are less aggressive than teams that are good in this area like Vegas, Minny, or Nashville. We’ve had some bad luck in this area, according to him, as our sv% and sh% on shifts that start in the defensive zone are low. Talent and tactics are possible explanations but he thinks tactics is more likely.

His main point is that this seems like an obvious place to make some improvements and they won’t require new players.
"If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything." - Ronald Coase
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #1026 by Curry Rage » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:12 am

Remember when the squints said faceoffs weren’t important?
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #1027 by Curry Rage » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:39 am

Permitted myself a look at a couple of the Leafs discussion sites. Basically, the team has the 6th best record in the league largely on the strength of 5-on-5 play but Babcock is a terrible stubborn SOB who just won’t change things up when it’s clear his lines aren’t working.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #1028 by Thomas Malthus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:01 am

Curry Rage wrote:Permitted myself a look at a couple of the Leafs discussion sites. Basically, the team has the 6th best record in the league largely on the strength of 5-on-5 play but Babcock is a terrible stubborn SOB who just won’t change things up when it’s clear his lines aren’t working.

I mean, those two things aren’t mutually exclusive.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #1029 by Curry Rage » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:08 am

No, but a team that scores more 5v5 than just about any team in the league is ticking some of the right boxes. Scoring more than you give up 5v5 is basically what hockey is. Online coaches tend to look at individual production and make the leap that a player producing more would necessarily be better/continue that production higher in the lineup. And/or they look at small samples of particular combos, see results they like and assume that would continue if the combo were together long term and that the net effect on team performance would be better.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #1030 by Curry Rage » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:20 am

“Babcock is stubborn” = “Babcock won’t implement the clearly superior lineup I keep posting on Leafsblather.com.”
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #1031 by Thomas Malthus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:09 am

That’s my favourite website...
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #1032 by Curry Rage » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:23 am

Then you’ll be familiar with the Dunning-Krueger inflected second guessing and imputing of motives to Babcock without specific knowledge of his thought process so common there.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #1033 by AGENT ZERO » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:36 am

I'm still not sure I want anything to do with Luke Glendening, but the more I read about him from Red Wings fans and hear from his coach and teammates the more I wonder if he wouldn't help us considerably. By all accounts he has a relentless motor and consistently takes tough matchups against the oppositions better players. His goalies have also consistently posted higher save percentages when he is on the ice over his career. Maybe if the Red Wings eat 50% it could make sense *shrugs*.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 634 times
Received rep: 614 times

Post #1034 by LeafOfBread » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:43 am

AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #1035 by AGENT ZERO » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:46 am

I knew I liked Kapanen.
MonkeyWrench
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 271 times
Received rep: 253 times

Post #1036 by MonkeyWrench » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:22 pm

I saw a video she posted years ago with kappy in it. Thought it was just a fling at that time.

Atta boy Kappy.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #1037 by LeafOfBread » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:27 pm

MonkeyWrench wrote:I saw a video she posted years ago with kappy in it. Thought it was just a fling at that time.

Atta boy Kappy.

I think they dated for like a year or a little more, and then broke up before this season AFAIK.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #1038 by Curry Rage » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:53 pm

What did he say to make her leak these?
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #1039 by Thomas Malthus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:19 pm

What’s even the point of leaking these?

Are we sure she put them out there rather than someone hacking her or Kappy and finding them?
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #1040 by LeafOfBread » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:37 pm

Curry Rage wrote:What did he say to make her leak these?

"No, I'm not going to get you more instagram followers"

In seriousness though, I agree with TM I don't quite see the logic here. The pics are nudes of herself, and Kapanen isn't married and he was in a relationship with this girl so there's no scandal here really.
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad

Post #1041 by LeafOfBread » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:39 pm

Sigh. I can only hope these pairings don't stick, but I don't quite understand the logic of acquiring Muzzin only to still have Hainsey in the top 4. I get where Babs is coming from wanting Rielly to be on the left side, but then why not move up Dermott instead? Now we've got the same issue as before, and the #3 and #4 guys talentwise (Gardiner and Dermott) get fucked in the process too.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #1042 by AGENT ZERO » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:57 pm

This is one of the worries I had when Muzzin was mentioned as a trade candidate for the Leafs. If these are the pairings Babcock is going to run out then all we accomplished by trading a 1st++ is upgrading the third pair. Dubas needs to add a RHD and dump one of Hainsey or Z in the process so that Babcock cannot play them over the upgrade.
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #1043 by Thomas Malthus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:01 pm

I guess we have to hope that Dubas can move Zaitsev and grab Jensen before the deadline.

I'd like to see Muzzin on the right side before defaulting back to Hainsey with Mo. I know he hasn't played the right side much and Babs wanted Muzzin to get used to the systems before messing with him but I'd much rather try that out than return to Hainsey facing tough competition.

In the meanwhile:
a) Just because it's this way in practice doesn't mean that it'll be this way come game time. Babs doesn't take a blender to the forwards that much but lately he's been quick to juggle D pairings.
b) We'll have to see what the situational usage ends up being. Does Babs put Dermott or Gardiner out beside Mo or Muzzin on offensive zone faceoffs? That could help take some of the edge off. Even though Hainsey and Zaitsev play with Gardiner and Mo, who get a lot of ES icetime, they get much less usage at 5v5. I'm guessing that we'll see Gardiner and Dermott out there with Rielly and Muzzin despite these nominally being the pairings.
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 60 times
Received rep: 169 times

Post #1044 by Whit Dickman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:15 pm

I mean, Rielly-Hainsey / Muzzin-Zaitsev / Gardiner-Dermott is easily the most even spreading of talent. I.e., none of the pairings will be a liability. It means having a weaker top pair, though.
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad

Post #1045 by AGENT ZERO » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:28 pm

Whit Dickman wrote:I mean, Rielly-Hainsey / Muzzin-Zaitsev / Gardiner-Dermott is easily the most even spreading of talent. I.e., none of the pairings will be a liability. It means having a weaker top pair, though.

I would prefer that Babcock load up the top 4 and play his weakest defenceman together in sheltered minutes. We already know what Rielly-Hainsey looks like against tough competition in the playoffs, and it's not great.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad

Post #1046 by Curry Rage » Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:58 pm

LeafOfBread wrote:

In seriousness though, I agree with TM I don't quite see the logic here. The pics are nudes of herself, and Kapanen isn't married and he was in a relationship with this girl so there's no scandal here really.

I guess I’m just old. It used to be that any photos of a celeb/player involving tits would’ve been a scandal in and of itself. Remember the fuss over Tlusty sending pics of his dong around?
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #1047 by Thomas Malthus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:47 pm

Curry Rage wrote:
LeafOfBread wrote:

I guess I’m just old. It used to be that any photos of a celeb/player involving tits would’ve been a scandal in and of itself. Remember the fuss over Tlusty sending pics of his dong around?

LOL

Or what about Mike Zigomanis' ass?
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #1048 by Thomas Malthus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:53 pm

On the trade front, I'd like to see if we could add a guy like Nic Petan if the Jets don't want him. Could be a good buy low candidate / reclamation project to shore up the left side (or if he can't play wing instead of centre then I thin he might be an improvement on the Goat/Lindholm).
WTF
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 315 times
Received rep: 528 times

Post #1049 by WTF » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:31 pm

"No, I won't record you throwing that chair over the balcony just so you can 'gram it."
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad

Post #1050 by Thomas Malthus » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:21 pm

Wait, was that her?

Return to “The Auston Matthews show”