The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

User avatar
WTF
Registered Broad
Posts: 8910
Joined: Wed Apr 14, 2010 3:34 pm
Has given rep: 371 times
Received rep: 626 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1051 by WTF » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:22 pm

Thomas Malthus wrote:Wait, was that her?


No, I don't think so. Just having a bit of fun with the whole concept of Instagram celebrities.
User avatar
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad
Posts: 3471
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:56 pm
Has given rep: 77 times
Received rep: 196 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1052 by Whit Dickman » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:15 pm

AGENT ZERO wrote:
Whit Dickman wrote:I mean, Rielly-Hainsey / Muzzin-Zaitsev / Gardiner-Dermott is easily the most even spreading of talent. I.e., none of the pairings will be a liability. It means having a weaker top pair, though.


I would prefer that Babcock load up the top 4 and play his weakest defenceman together in sheltered minutes. We already know what Rielly-Hainsey looks like against tough competition in the playoffs, and it's not great.


I know it's just plus minus, but Rielly and Hainsey are each something like +25

I'm willing to experiment with the pairs and see what we have. If we play a 1 line team like Boston, we can do Muzzin-Rielly at home and this even system on the road. Our biggest problem was that we would get trounced whenever Bergeron hit the ice, and I'm afraid of Gardiner-Zaitsev
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1053 by Curry Rage » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:50 am

We still need a RD going forward even if we re-signed Gardiner by some miracle. Problem is worse if we trade Z, also by some miracle. Trade Gards and Johnsson for Faulk/Hamilton and something/body.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 9137
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 337 times
Received rep: 361 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1054 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:54 am

Nick Jensen please and thank you. He probably won't make much more than 3M on his next deal either.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1055 by Curry Rage » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:05 am

If we’re losing Gardiner either way, Jensen is a massive puck moving/offensive downgrade. Meh.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 9137
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 337 times
Received rep: 361 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1056 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:39 am

Curry Rage wrote:If we’re losing Gardiner either way, Jensen is a massive puck moving/offensive downgrade. Meh.


Jensen is very good at moving the puck, just not borderline elite like Gardiner. But realistically, no one the Leafs add is going to be able to replicate that aspect of Gardiner's game unless they drastically reallocate their cap.
User avatar
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Posts: 4989
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:08 pm
Location: Whore Island
Has given rep: 250 times
Received rep: 555 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1057 by Thomas Malthus » Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:53 pm

The gap between Gardiner and Dermott or Gardiner and Muzzin is smaller than the gap between Zaitsev or Hainsey and Jensen. Even if Jensen is a worse puck mover than Gardiner, he's much better than Hainsey or Zaitsev. That brings a lot of value in mixing up breakouts. Plus, Muzzin and Dermott are pretty effective at moving the puck as well.

Rielly - Jensen
Muzzin - Dermott
Rosen - Lilypad/Ozhiganov

Would be a sneakily good backend at moving the puck and defending. Dermott needs more minutes and effectively replaced what Jake brings (warts and all). Muzzin > Zaitsev on the second pairing, and Jensen > Hainsey on the top pairing, both in terms of puck movement and defensive ability.
"It's not like we don't have skill, we do have skill. Just we don't know how to play." - Mike Babcock
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1058 by Curry Rage » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:45 pm

Rather take the money we’ll pay Johnsson (plus money freed by Gards’ departure) and put it into a better D than Jensen. Losing Gards and adding Jensen isn’t even treading water, it’s getting worse. We have plenty of speed and offence up front. Johnsson is great, but not a core piece.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 9137
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 337 times
Received rep: 361 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1059 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:54 pm

Curry Rage wrote:Rather take the money we’ll pay Johnsson (plus money freed by Gards’ departure) and put it into a better D than Jensen. Losing Gards and adding Jensen isn’t even treading water, it’s getting worse. We have plenty of speed and offence up front. Johnsson is great, but not a core piece.


The Muzzin trade was protection against losing Gardiner, he takes his spot after this season. As for Jensen, good luck getting a comparable top 4 RHD for an 800k cap hit.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1060 by Curry Rage » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:00 pm

The Muzzin trade still leaves us needing a top-4 RD. I don’t want a comparable player to Jensen, I want a better one. His 800K caphit lasts until April.

We need to use assets like Gardiner, Johnsson, etc to see if we can get a better option. I’ll bet dollars to doughnuts that something similar is why there’s been so much smoke between CAR and us all year.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1061 by Curry Rage » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:04 pm

In the end, Jensen is 28 with a career high of 15 points. He might get 25 this year if he really turns it on.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
paulster
Registered Broad
Posts: 2264
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:44 am
Has given rep: 882 times
Received rep: 415 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1062 by paulster » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:12 pm

I bet Gardiner stays.
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 9137
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 337 times
Received rep: 361 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1063 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:45 pm

Curry Rage wrote:The Muzzin trade still leaves us needing a top-4 RD. I don’t want a comparable player to Jensen, I want a better one. His 800K caphit lasts until April.

We need to use assets like Gardiner, Johnsson, etc to see if we can get a better option. I’ll bet dollars to doughnuts that something similar is why there’s been so much smoke between CAR and us all year.


The attractive part of Jensen for me is that we probably don't have to give up Johnsson + to acquire him. I also don't see him netting much as a FA because he doesn't have a track record of playing in the top 4 before this season and his traditional numbers don't jump off the page at you. The Leafs need some good buy low targets like that because of their cap. The fact that he fills a hole is a bonus.
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 9137
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 337 times
Received rep: 361 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1064 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:48 pm

Curry Rage wrote:In the end, Jensen is 28 with a career high of 15 points. He might get 25 this year if he really turns it on.


We need someone who can defend and make a first pass on the RS. Rielly, Gardiner, Muzzin and Dermott can put up the gaudy offensive numbers.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1065 by Curry Rage » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:02 pm

The assumption is that Gardiner won’t be here to do that and Dermott’s offensive ceiling is still in question. Neither Muzzin nor Jensen fully address that loss of offence, PP QB ability, etc. “Gaudy numbers”, i.e. actual real world production, matter.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1066 by Curry Rage » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:04 pm

Even a quick look at D point production on Cup contenders like Tbay, Winnipeg, Nashville, etc. gives a good indication of where we want to be at. Jensen is a bit player.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1067 by Curry Rage » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:06 pm

Having all your playmaking and offence coming from one side of the ice is as limiting as having one side that’s easier for teams to enter and forecheck against.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 9137
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 337 times
Received rep: 361 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1068 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:14 pm

Curry Rage wrote:The assumption is that Gardiner won’t be here to do that and Dermott’s offensive ceiling is still in question. Neither Muzzin nor Jensen fully address that loss of offence, PP QB ability, etc. “Gaudy numbers”, i.e. actual real world production, matter.


The problem is that you are only referencing point totals. They just aren't that good of an evaluation tool for D because of how dependent it is on opportunity. Case in point, Nikita Zaitsev in his rookie season with pp time vs the two seasons since without. You give Muzzin, Jensen and Dermott Gardiner's pp time on this roster and each of them is probably gonna give you 30+.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1069 by Curry Rage » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:31 pm

Ability begets opportunity.

Jensen ain’t getting you 30. Lol

There’s a reason he doesn’t get those minutes. He ain’t that good.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1070 by Curry Rage » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:45 pm

Do ES strength numbers and the point still stands.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 9137
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 337 times
Received rep: 361 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1071 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:04 pm

Curry Rage wrote:Ability begets opportunity.

Jensen ain’t getting you 30. Lol

There’s a reason he doesn’t get those minutes. He ain’t that good.


There is more to offense from the back end than just points. It's making a first pass, exiting the zone, breaking up plays etc. Jensen may not have the raw point totals to his name, but when he is on the ice his team generally generates more offense as a result. As an aside, I have watched a few Red Wings games because of Jensen's rumored availability, and his passing and decision making pass the eye test. He looks comfortable and poised with the puck.
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 9137
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 337 times
Received rep: 361 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1072 by AGENT ZERO » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:13 pm

Curry Rage wrote:There’s a reason he doesn’t get those minutes. He ain’t that good.


That is what people said about him in a third pairing role last season and he has thrived in a bigger role this season. Likewise with Schmidt and Miller on Vegas. Some guys just need an opportunity.
User avatar
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Posts: 4989
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:08 pm
Location: Whore Island
Has given rep: 250 times
Received rep: 555 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1073 by Thomas Malthus » Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:42 pm

I’ll take an Anton Stralman type guy on my team anytime.
"It's not like we don't have skill, we do have skill. Just we don't know how to play." - Mike Babcock
User avatar
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad
Posts: 3471
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:56 pm
Has given rep: 77 times
Received rep: 196 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1074 by Whit Dickman » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:07 pm

What is Jonas Frogren up to
User avatar
Thomas Malthus
Registered Broad
Posts: 4989
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:08 pm
Location: Whore Island
Has given rep: 250 times
Received rep: 555 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1075 by Thomas Malthus » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:28 pm

Whit Dickman wrote:What is Jonas Frogren up to


Where my boy Jeff Finger at?
"It's not like we don't have skill, we do have skill. Just we don't know how to play." - Mike Babcock
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1076 by Curry Rage » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:21 am

Thomas Malthus wrote:I’ll take an Anton Stralman type guy on my team anytime.


A bona fide top 4 guy who has shifted into a more defensive role because there are two better offensive D yet still produces 25-30P with little PP time, but could play on your PP if needed? Now that’s a 3 you can run with. Yes, please. He’s not having the best year (injury, etc) but he’s the sort of 3 you see on a lot of the best clubs from a production standpoint. Hanafin, Ekholm, Vlasic, Morrissey, etc.

We have Reilly, Gardiner* and now Muzzin but may lose Gardiner unless moves are made elsewhere. Muzzin could be that 3, but then who’s your 2? That’s without the problem of RS/LS taken into account.

Jensen is the sort of guy you get to play minutes beside that guy. Different kettle of fish.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1077 by Curry Rage » Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:43 am

AGENT ZERO wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:Ability begets opportunity.

Jensen ain’t getting you 30. Lol

There’s a reason he doesn’t get those minutes. He ain’t that good.


There is more to offense from the back end than just points. It's making a first pass, exiting the zone, breaking up plays etc. Jensen may not have the raw point totals to his name, but when he is on the ice his team generally generates more offense as a result. As an aside, I have watched a few Red Wings games because of Jensen's rumored availability, and his passing and decision making pass the eye test. He looks comfortable and poised with the puck.


Tell me about it. It’s just that when you do those things really well, it tends to translate into point production. The sort of player we need does all that ++.

Re: Schmidt, Miller and opportunity, those guys were all like 24 or 25 when their moment came and they looked better from a traditional and analytics perspective at an earlier age. Jensen wasn’t even in the league at a similar age. For years I’ve been hearing from all the numbers guys that 28 is essentially a player’s peak, give or take a few years, with exceptions made for exceptional players. It’s not like there was a tonne of competition in DET keeping him back. Kronwall, Green, Smith, Ericsson, deKeyser. Those are the kind of guys who he was playing behind and when he broke in, just about all of them only played half the year due to injuries.

He’s a solid player playing in a good system having a nice year. I can’t predict the future, but the chances that he breaks out as a top pairing guy *on a contending team* at this stage of his career are slim. He’d be a nice add to replace Hainsey or even Zaitsev (if we can be rid of him) but in my mind that still leaves us short of a top end RD. You win with your top 3 D on the ice. We have a great collection of forwards up front. Trying to scrimp and save on craftsmen on D and cobble together a rag tag bunch of analytics darlings and say a prayer that they’ll all break out seems like a waste of precious time to me. Get me the guy who’s doing it *obviously*.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1078 by Curry Rage » Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:52 am

Burns/Karlsson/Pickles
Hedman/Mcdonagh/Stralman
Buff/Trouba/Morrissey
Carlson/Niskanen/Orlov
Josi/Ekholm/Subban (Ellis!)
Giordano/Brodie/Hanafin

W/0 Gards, Reilly/Muzzin/? Dermott maybe. But you’re still weak down the right side of the ice.

A look back over previous Cup champs shows a pattern. PIT are the exception, though in 2015-16 they got a huge year out of Schultz and managed to squeeze a tonne out of some good-not-great guys in the POs. So, it can work but I’d rather have the comfort of knowing I’ve got 2-3 guys I’m more than happy to put on the ice against anyone. No hoping.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 9137
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 337 times
Received rep: 361 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1079 by AGENT ZERO » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:18 am

Curry Rage wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:Ability begets opportunity.

Jensen ain’t getting you 30. Lol

There’s a reason he doesn’t get those minutes. He ain’t that good.


There is more to offense from the back end than just points. It's making a first pass, exiting the zone, breaking up plays etc. Jensen may not have the raw point totals to his name, but when he is on the ice his team generally generates more offense as a result. As an aside, I have watched a few Red Wings games because of Jensen's rumored availability, and his passing and decision making pass the eye test. He looks comfortable and poised with the puck.


Tell me about it. It’s just that when you do those things really well, it tends to translate into point production. The sort of player we need does all that ++.

Re: Schmidt, Miller and opportunity, those guys were all like 24 or 25 when their moment came and they looked better from a traditional and analytics perspective at an earlier age. Jensen wasn’t even in the league at a similar age. For years I’ve been hearing from all the numbers guys that 28 is essentially a player’s peak, give or take a few years, with exceptions made for exceptional players. It’s not like there was a tonne of competition in DET keeping him back. Kronwall, Green, Smith, Ericsson, deKeyser. Those are the kind of guys who he was playing behind and when he broke in, just about all of them only played half the year due to injuries.

He’s a solid player playing in a good system having a nice year. I can’t predict the future, but the chances that he breaks out as a top pairing guy *on a contending team* at this stage of his career are slim. He’d be a nice add to replace Hainsey or even Zaitsev (if we can be rid of him) but in my mind that still leaves us short of a top end RD. You win with your top 3 D on the ice. We have a great collection of forwards up front. Trying to scrimp and save on craftsmen on D and cobble together a rag tag bunch of analytics darlings and say a prayer that they’ll all break out seems like a waste of precious time to me. Get me the guy who’s doing it *obviously*.


Schmidt was an undrafted college FA who broke out at 26, and Miller was a 5th round pick that broke out at 25. Both guys were acquired for free at the waiver draft so it's not like their stocks were high going into Vegas either. Savy teams pluck guys like this for less than their worth and profit simply by giving them an opportunity higher up the lineup. Vegas has done it with several players and reaped the benefits. The added bonus of Jensen types is that they don't break the bank to acquire, so if you are wrong it is really easy to shift directions.

Moreover, where are the Leafs finding this proven top pairing RHD, and where are they getting the cap to pay them?
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 9137
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 337 times
Received rep: 361 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1080 by AGENT ZERO » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:18 am

Curry Rage wrote:Burns/Karlsson/Pickles
Hedman/Mcdonagh/Stralman
Buff/Trouba/Morrissey
Carlson/Niskanen/Orlov
Josi/Ekholm/Subban (Ellis!)
Giordano/Brodie/Hanafin

W/0 Gards, Reilly/Muzzin/? Dermott maybe. But you’re still weak down the right side of the ice.

A look back over previous Cup champs shows a pattern. PIT are the exception, though in 2015-16 they got a huge year out of Schultz and managed to squeeze a tonne out of some good-not-great guys in the POs. So, it can work but I’d rather have the comfort of knowing I’ve got 2-3 guys I’m more than happy to put on the ice against anyone. No hoping.


Which one of those teams has: Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares, Kadri, Johnsson and Kapanen up front?
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1081 by Curry Rage » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:40 am

AGENT ZERO wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:
There is more to offense from the back end than just points. It's making a first pass, exiting the zone, breaking up plays etc. Jensen may not have the raw point totals to his name, but when he is on the ice his team generally generates more offense as a result. As an aside, I have watched a few Red Wings games because of Jensen's rumored availability, and his passing and decision making pass the eye test. He looks comfortable and poised with the puck.


Tell me about it. It’s just that when you do those things really well, it tends to translate into point production. The sort of player we need does all that ++.

Re: Schmidt, Miller and opportunity, those guys were all like 24 or 25 when their moment came and they looked better from a traditional and analytics perspective at an earlier age. Jensen wasn’t even in the league at a similar age. For years I’ve been hearing from all the numbers guys that 28 is essentially a player’s peak, give or take a few years, with exceptions made for exceptional players. It’s not like there was a tonne of competition in DET keeping him back. Kronwall, Green, Smith, Ericsson, deKeyser. Those are the kind of guys who he was playing behind and when he broke in, just about all of them only played half the year due to injuries.

He’s a solid player playing in a good system having a nice year. I can’t predict the future, but the chances that he breaks out as a top pairing guy *on a contending team* at this stage of his career are slim. He’d be a nice add to replace Hainsey or even Zaitsev (if we can be rid of him) but in my mind that still leaves us short of a top end RD. You win with your top 3 D on the ice. We have a great collection of forwards up front. Trying to scrimp and save on craftsmen on D and cobble together a rag tag bunch of analytics darlings and say a prayer that they’ll all break out seems like a waste of precious time to me. Get me the guy who’s doing it *obviously*.


Schmidt was an undrafted college FA who broke out at 26, and Miller was a 5th round pick that broke out at 25. Both guys were acquired for free at the waiver draft so it's not like their stocks were high going into Vegas either. Savy teams pluck guys like this for less than their worth and profit simply by giving them an opportunity higher up the lineup. Vegas has done it with several players and reaped the benefits. The added bonus of Jensen types is that they don't break the bank to acquire, so if you are wrong it is really easy to shift directions.

Moreover, where are the Leafs finding this proven top pairing RHD, and where are they getting the cap to pay them?


Schmidt was already getting praise for his play in the POs the year before. I remember because he came in and looked really good against us. His regular season PPG in 60GP and about 15:00 ATOI was higher than Jensen’s is now (not a single PP point) and his Corsis were pretty. Miller was 24 years old at the start of his first VGK season, coming off two years of very pretty Corsis and a PPG avg. higher than Jensen’s now, in his peak years.

Either way, they aren’t reasons to think Jensen will do the same outside of a loose association you’ve made. Nothing in his numbers suggests there’s a big breakout coming.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1082 by Curry Rage » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:53 am

AGENT ZERO wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:Burns/Karlsson/Pickles
Hedman/Mcdonagh/Stralman
Buff/Trouba/Morrissey
Carlson/Niskanen/Orlov
Josi/Ekholm/Subban (Ellis!)
Giordano/Brodie/Hanafin

W/0 Gards, Reilly/Muzzin/? Dermott maybe. But you’re still weak down the right side of the ice.

A look back over previous Cup champs shows a pattern. PIT are the exception, though in 2015-16 they got a huge year out of Schultz and managed to squeeze a tonne out of some good-not-great guys in the POs. So, it can work but I’d rather have the comfort of knowing I’ve got 2-3 guys I’m more than happy to put on the ice against anyone. No hoping.


Which one of those teams has: Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares, Kadri, Johnsson and Kapanen up front?


I suggested above using Johnsson as part of the package for a RD. I’d be happy to have fewer of those guys and plug holes up front (and on D) with “efficient” players and have three D like those teams I listed above because I think that puts us in a much better position while Tavares’ is still in his prime.

Gardiner should be dangled to. E.g. A team like CAR might swap him (++) for a Hamilton or Faulk to get better balance on their D, and add needed offence, as long as they had assurances that he’d re-sign in the summer.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 9137
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 337 times
Received rep: 361 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1083 by AGENT ZERO » Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:59 am

Curry Rage wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:
Tell me about it. It’s just that when you do those things really well, it tends to translate into point production. The sort of player we need does all that ++.

Re: Schmidt, Miller and opportunity, those guys were all like 24 or 25 when their moment came and they looked better from a traditional and analytics perspective at an earlier age. Jensen wasn’t even in the league at a similar age. For years I’ve been hearing from all the numbers guys that 28 is essentially a player’s peak, give or take a few years, with exceptions made for exceptional players. It’s not like there was a tonne of competition in DET keeping him back. Kronwall, Green, Smith, Ericsson, deKeyser. Those are the kind of guys who he was playing behind and when he broke in, just about all of them only played half the year due to injuries.

He’s a solid player playing in a good system having a nice year. I can’t predict the future, but the chances that he breaks out as a top pairing guy *on a contending team* at this stage of his career are slim. He’d be a nice add to replace Hainsey or even Zaitsev (if we can be rid of him) but in my mind that still leaves us short of a top end RD. You win with your top 3 D on the ice. We have a great collection of forwards up front. Trying to scrimp and save on craftsmen on D and cobble together a rag tag bunch of analytics darlings and say a prayer that they’ll all break out seems like a waste of precious time to me. Get me the guy who’s doing it *obviously*.


Schmidt was an undrafted college FA who broke out at 26, and Miller was a 5th round pick that broke out at 25. Both guys were acquired for free at the waiver draft so it's not like their stocks were high going into Vegas either. Savy teams pluck guys like this for less than their worth and profit simply by giving them an opportunity higher up the lineup. Vegas has done it with several players and reaped the benefits. The added bonus of Jensen types is that they don't break the bank to acquire, so if you are wrong it is really easy to shift directions.

Moreover, where are the Leafs finding this proven top pairing RHD, and where are they getting the cap to pay them?


Schmidt was already getting praise for his play in the POs the year before. I remember because he came in and looked really good against us. His regular season PPG in 60GP and about 15:00 ATOI was higher than Jensen’s is now (not a single PP point) and his Corsis were pretty. Miller was 24 years old at the start of his first VGK season, coming off two years of very pretty Corsis and a PPG avg. higher than Jensen’s now, in his peak years.

Either way, they aren’t reasons to think Jensen will do the same outside of a loose association you’ve made. Nothing in his numbers suggests there’s a big breakout coming.


Their are many reasons to think Jensen is already doing the same, all three players put up elite underlying metrics in sheltered minutes and were able to maintain positive possession even when given additional responsibility. For whatever reason though you are hung up on point totals.

I also think it's funny that you think Schmidt's last season in Washington was praise worthy (17 points in 60 games - 0 pp pts), but not this season from Jensen (15 points in 57 games - 0 pp pts). Shifting the goal posts much? Yes, Schmidt had less time on ice, but he also had superior linemates and played on the best team by record since the lockout with the #1 rated offense that year.
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 9137
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 337 times
Received rep: 361 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1084 by AGENT ZERO » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:02 am

Curry Rage wrote:Nothing in his numbers suggests there’s a big breakout coming.


The advanced numbers actually suggest that the breakout has already happened. Jensen is a quality top 4 RHD, which is all anyone in this thread has suggested that he is.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1085 by Curry Rage » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:07 am

Age. The goalposts are fluorescent yellow and rooted in 10’ of concrete. Age. Never mind that Jensen isn’t even equalling their pre-breakout numbers now.

Points matter (the game is about scoring more than other teams) and they’re generally a result of the underlying metrics and skills being there.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 9137
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 337 times
Received rep: 361 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1086 by AGENT ZERO » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:08 am

Curry Rage wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:Burns/Karlsson/Pickles
Hedman/Mcdonagh/Stralman
Buff/Trouba/Morrissey
Carlson/Niskanen/Orlov
Josi/Ekholm/Subban (Ellis!)
Giordano/Brodie/Hanafin

W/0 Gards, Reilly/Muzzin/? Dermott maybe. But you’re still weak down the right side of the ice.

A look back over previous Cup champs shows a pattern. PIT are the exception, though in 2015-16 they got a huge year out of Schultz and managed to squeeze a tonne out of some good-not-great guys in the POs. So, it can work but I’d rather have the comfort of knowing I’ve got 2-3 guys I’m more than happy to put on the ice against anyone. No hoping.


Which one of those teams has: Matthews, Nylander, Marner, Tavares, Kadri, Johnsson and Kapanen up front?


I suggested above using Johnsson as part of the package for a RD. I’d be happy to have fewer of those guys and plug holes up front (and on D) with “efficient” players and have three D like those teams I listed above because I think that puts us in a much better position while Tavares’ is still in his prime.

Gardiner should be dangled to. E.g. A team like CAR might swap him (++) for a Hamilton or Faulk to get better balance on their D, and add needed offence, as long as they had assurances that he’d re-sign in the summer.


No one is trading away the type of defenceman you are talking about for Andreas Johnsson, and that doesn't rectify the cap issue. The Leafs can't afford to trade Johnsson for a higher cap, any deal made has to be cap for cap otherwise the Leafs bonuses will carry over into next season when they have no space. There is also no way that the Hurricanes (or any team for that matter) will trade a quality RHD for an expiring LHD as the primary piece. The type of trade you want is going to take Nylander or Kapanen + Gardiner.
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 9137
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 337 times
Received rep: 361 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1087 by AGENT ZERO » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:13 am

Curry Rage wrote:Age. The goalposts are fluorescent yellow and rooted in 10’ of concrete. Age. Never mind that Jensen isn’t even equalling their pre-breakout numbers now.

Points matter (the game is about scoring more than other teams) and they’re generally a result of the underlying metrics and skills being there.


I disagree, you can help your team score from the back end without generating points. I also believe that points for a defenceman is often more about opportunity than actual ability. There are alot of defenders that can give you 30 with a strong offensive team and pp minutes. Zaitsev had 36 as a rookie, and since being moved into a role similar to the one Jensen is currenly playing has 20 points in 117 games. None of this is to mention the obvious caveat that Jensen is more defensive minded which is something the Leafs (especially Rielly) lack.
Dynrehab
Registered Broad
Posts: 2196
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:05 pm
Has given rep: 110 times
Received rep: 241 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1088 by Dynrehab » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:15 am

Trade Jake for a cheap winger and a 1st.

Trade Kapanen for Pesce.

Use the 1st to move Zaitsev.

Resign Hainsey for 1 year at $2 million.

Defence balanced. Cap hell avoided.

Pesce-MR
Hainsey-Muzzin
______-Dermott

Trade for an upgrade at the deadline (this might be the only realistic scenario in this post).
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1089 by Curry Rage » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:19 am

I didn’t suggest they would trade a RHD for Johnsson. I suggested the basic framework of a deal involving both Gardiner and a forward. I might be willing to part with Kapanen if that’s the price of shoring up the D and relieving us of the imbalance we have right now.

I’d have to sit down and work out the numbers, but getting that guy lets you dump Zaitsev for a song, relieving many of the Cap problems you’re talking about. You’d have a better D at the top end and then you can fiddle all you like with efficiencies.

A huge factor in any discussion are Marleau’s plans.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1090 by Curry Rage » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:21 am

AGENT ZERO wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:Age. The goalposts are fluorescent yellow and rooted in 10’ of concrete. Age. Never mind that Jensen isn’t even equalling their pre-breakout numbers now.

Points matter (the game is about scoring more than other teams) and they’re generally a result of the underlying metrics and skills being there.


I disagree, you can help your team score from the back end without generating points. I also believe that points for a defenceman is often more about opportunity than actual ability. There are alot of defenders that can give you 30 with a strong offensive team and pp minutes. Zaitsev had 36 as a rookie, and since being moved into a role similar to the one Jensen is currenly playing has 20 points in 117 games. None of this is to mention the obvious caveat that Jensen is more defensive minded which is something the Leafs (especially Rielly) lack.


I haven’t argued otherwise, but there’s craftsmen, and there are master tradesmen. The list of top scoring D who can’t exit their zone, make a good first pass, etc. is a short one. Jensen is the guy who you partner with that guy.

If we lose Gardiner, we have one of those: Rielly.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
mcphee
Registered Broad
Posts: 13589
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:27 am
Has given rep: 143 times
Received rep: 439 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1091 by mcphee » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:23 am

Curry Rage wrote:
Thomas Malthus wrote:I’ll take an Anton Stralman type guy on my team anytime.


A bona fide top 4 guy who has shifted into a more defensive role because there are two better offensive D yet still produces 25-30P with little PP time, but could play on your PP if needed? Now that’s a 3 you can run with. Yes, please. He’s not having the best year (injury, etc) but he’s the sort of 3 you see on a lot of the best clubs from a production standpoint. Hanafin, Ekholm, Vlasic, Morrissey, etc.

We have Reilly, Gardiner* and now Muzzin but may lose Gardiner unless moves are made elsewhere. Muzzin could be that 3, but then who’s your 2? That’s without the problem of RS/LS taken into account.

Jensen is the sort of guy you get to play minutes beside that guy. Different kettle of fish.

You're describing what I always called an off guy. Really good d man who excels at playing beside a top pairing guy. Can't be the lead guy on a top pairing and at some point, flounders when put in that role. Mtl has had plenty over the years, Craig Rivet, Lyle Odelin, in St.L, J Bo became a great off guy, but be wary of thinking 'he just needs his chance'.
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 9137
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 337 times
Received rep: 361 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1092 by AGENT ZERO » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:25 am

mcphee wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:
Thomas Malthus wrote:I’ll take an Anton Stralman type guy on my team anytime.


A bona fide top 4 guy who has shifted into a more defensive role because there are two better offensive D yet still produces 25-30P with little PP time, but could play on your PP if needed? Now that’s a 3 you can run with. Yes, please. He’s not having the best year (injury, etc) but he’s the sort of 3 you see on a lot of the best clubs from a production standpoint. Hanafin, Ekholm, Vlasic, Morrissey, etc.

We have Reilly, Gardiner* and now Muzzin but may lose Gardiner unless moves are made elsewhere. Muzzin could be that 3, but then who’s your 2? That’s without the problem of RS/LS taken into account.

Jensen is the sort of guy you get to play minutes beside that guy. Different kettle of fish.

You're describing what I always called an off guy. Really good d man who excels at playing beside a top pairing guy. Can't be the lead guy on a top pairing and at some point, flounders when put in that role. Mtl has had plenty over the years, Craig Rivet, Lyle Odelin, in St.L, J Bo became a great off guy, but be wary of thinking 'he just needs his chance'.


None of those guys are doing this with the puck with the obvious exception of a younger Jbo who was a stud #1.

User avatar
Whit Dickman
Registered Broad
Posts: 3471
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:56 pm
Has given rep: 77 times
Received rep: 196 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1093 by Whit Dickman » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:29 am

Dynrehab wrote:Trade Jake for a cheap winger and a 1st.

Trade Kapanen for Pesce.

Use the 1st to move Zaitsev.

Resign Hainsey for 1 year at $2 million.

Defence balanced. Cap hell avoided.

Pesce-MR
Hainsey-Muzzin
______-Dermott

Trade for an upgrade at the deadline (this might be the only realistic scenario in this post).


No reason to trade Gardiner. If the Leafs turned Kapanen into Pesce and could package picks to dump Zaitsev that would give us

Rielly-Pesce
Muzzin-Dermott
Gardiner-Hainsey

Would be very strong on defense suddenly. Gardiner can then walk in the summer.
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 9137
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 337 times
Received rep: 361 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1094 by AGENT ZERO » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:33 am

Dynrehab wrote:Trade Jake for a cheap winger and a 1st.

Trade Kapanen for Pesce.

Use the 1st to move Zaitsev.

Resign Hainsey for 1 year at $2 million.

Defence balanced. Cap hell avoided.

Pesce-MR
Hainsey-Muzzin
______-Dermott

Trade for an upgrade at the deadline (this might be the only realistic scenario in this post).


How does that balance the defense? There is still only one RHD in that lineup, only now our offense is weaker and we have a boat anchor that is one year older.
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 9137
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 337 times
Received rep: 361 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1095 by AGENT ZERO » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:38 am

Curry Rage wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:Age. The goalposts are fluorescent yellow and rooted in 10’ of concrete. Age. Never mind that Jensen isn’t even equalling their pre-breakout numbers now.

Points matter (the game is about scoring more than other teams) and they’re generally a result of the underlying metrics and skills being there.


I disagree, you can help your team score from the back end without generating points. I also believe that points for a defenceman is often more about opportunity than actual ability. There are alot of defenders that can give you 30 with a strong offensive team and pp minutes. Zaitsev had 36 as a rookie, and since being moved into a role similar to the one Jensen is currenly playing has 20 points in 117 games. None of this is to mention the obvious caveat that Jensen is more defensive minded which is something the Leafs (especially Rielly) lack.


I haven’t argued otherwise, but there’s craftsmen, and there are master tradesmen. The list of top scoring D who can’t exit their zone, make a good first pass, etc. is a short one. Jensen is the guy who you partner with that guy.

If we lose Gardiner, we have one of those: Rielly.


We are arguing the same thing then. I would love to add the guy you are describing, but I doubt that type of trade is available mid season. So my focus is on anything that will remove Hainsey and Z from playing 20 minutes in the playoffs because that will kill this team.
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1096 by Curry Rage » Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:49 am

AGENT ZERO wrote:
Curry Rage wrote:
AGENT ZERO wrote:
I disagree, you can help your team score from the back end without generating points. I also believe that points for a defenceman is often more about opportunity than actual ability. There are alot of defenders that can give you 30 with a strong offensive team and pp minutes. Zaitsev had 36 as a rookie, and since being moved into a role similar to the one Jensen is currenly playing has 20 points in 117 games. None of this is to mention the obvious caveat that Jensen is more defensive minded which is something the Leafs (especially Rielly) lack.


I haven’t argued otherwise, but there’s craftsmen, and there are master tradesmen. The list of top scoring D who can’t exit their zone, make a good first pass, etc. is a short one. Jensen is the guy who you partner with that guy.

If we lose Gardiner, we have one of those: Rielly.


We are arguing the same thing then. I would love to add the guy you are describing, but I doubt that type of trade is available mid season. So my focus is on anything that will remove Hainsey and Z from playing 20 minutes in the playoffs because that will kill this team.


I’m focussed on the next five years of Tavares plus Matthews. I’m not even that worried about this year’s playoffs. I think we need to restructure the D and the Cap so that we’re less forward heavy overall and more top heavy and balanced on D.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
Curry Rage
Registered Broad
Posts: 5561
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 3:32 am
Has given rep: 734 times
Received rep: 554 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1097 by Curry Rage » Sat Feb 16, 2019 1:25 pm

He could just be stirring the pot, but Friedman mentioned Dubas May have interest in Kyle Clifford on a recent podcast.
*Buy Oil Stocks!*
User avatar
AGENT ZERO
Registered Broad
Posts: 9137
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm
Has given rep: 337 times
Received rep: 361 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1098 by AGENT ZERO » Sat Feb 16, 2019 4:02 pm

We could definitely use some more bite, can Clifford still skate?
User avatar
LeafOfBread
Registered Broad
Posts: 8436
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am
Has given rep: 721 times
Received rep: 683 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1099 by LeafOfBread » Sat Feb 16, 2019 6:55 pm



:nucks:
User avatar
paulster
Registered Broad
Posts: 2264
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:44 am
Has given rep: 882 times
Received rep: 415 times

Re: The Quest for Lord Stanley's Goblet: Our Toronto Leafs 2018-2019 General Discussion

Post #1100 by paulster » Sat Feb 16, 2019 8:08 pm

Yeah, Tavares is terrible and you definitely don’t want him on your team.

Happy for the isles to have success and avoid the apocalypse that they predicted, but fuck. Shut the fuck up.

Return to “The Auston Matthews show”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests