Post #51 by mayoradamwest » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:59 pm

No, naked on a chair actually.
MP
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 155 times
Received rep: 479 times

Re: 2019-2020 thread: phoning it in edition, sponsored by Huawei

Post #52 by MP » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:10 pm

I just want SJ to keep losing. Seems given now with Couture out 6 weeks...
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 501 times
Received rep: 319 times

Post #53 by mayoradamwest » Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:07 pm

MP wrote:I just want SJ to keep losing. Seems given now with Couture out 6 weeks...

Karlsson has always turned it on in the second half. I just can’t rule them out...

Then again. They have zero depth so maybe?
Ricard_Persson
Has given rep: 80 times
Received rep: 109 times

Post #54 by Ricard_Persson » Thu Jan 09, 2020 8:56 pm

Yeah sometimes when things look awful and they have no pressure since people write them off, they may run. I can see them winning 8 of 10 then leveling off to .500....but still improving too much get get a great pick.

Would be nice though if they sit bottom 5. Unreal chance for ottawa this year. They need to lose as many games as they can. It should be a truly enjoyable October next year with a shockingly deep team of young players showing up.

It would be amazing if the sharks really struggle to the end. In all honesty ottawa fans deserve it after watching the same thing happen to Colorado.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #55 by mayoradamwest » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:58 pm

I would bet that Ottawa will nab at least another 2nd, and possibly another first in the draft. With prospect dep and multiple seconds, the draft may be worth watching
Hossa
Registered Broad
Has given rep: 2 times
Received rep: 32 times

Post #56 by Hossa » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:24 am

If San Jose keeps getting some solid goaltending from Dell, they'll rise a bit because there's still some talent there even if Burns and Vlasic are dragging down the defence. But the odds of them getting into the playoffs are currently between 2 and 3 percent, and that's without taking Couture's absence into account - which for an old team that is playing poorly, is actually their first significant injury this year.

It's early to declare it a win, and doesn't absolve Dorion and co of their mishandling of the situation, but the Karlsson trade looks far better now than it did at the time. Norris and Balcers are much better prospects now than at the time, Tierney and Demelo are real assets even if not ones we keep long-term (although I'm among those who would keep Demelo for a few years), and the first is looking nice. Norris' great season is especially encouraging.

Credit where it's due, a lot of things to be optimistic about with the Sens rebuild right now. All those picks, especially if we get another first for Pageau, are great capital even if we want to flip some of those prospects for NHL talent in a couple years.

The concern is retention and extension - the Dorion and Murray regimes have not only struggled to retain top talent, but to identify the mid-level players worth extending. We have to learn from the mistake of signing a guy like Cowen or Greening but selling Zibanejad. Hopefully Colin White gets his shit together and doesn't join the former group in a year's time.

Final note, it's still kind of amazing to me that Jared Cowen just didn't play hockey again after we dealt him. He wasn't a good pick, especially with the direction of the game, but it's not like stay-at-home guys are gone entirely. FFS, Mark Borowiecki is on pace for 30 points.
mayoradamwest
Registered Broad

Post #57 by mayoradamwest » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:47 pm

Cowan got in an injury arbitration case and lost to the leafs. He had huge injury issues once drafted, and had the mental game of a jar of stale marmite.

Return to “The Non-Event Centre”